Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Default Rough idle

Most recently, after driving from Vegas, thru Death Valley and into the small town of Lone Pine, CA for work, my '98 Camry 2.2 has been running really rough. After start-up, it idles rough and stalls on occasion. When I can get it to idle and drive it to work, it hiccoughs during low RPM operation and eventually dies when coming to a stop. What could it be?

Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wikiwiki
Most recently, after driving from Vegas, thru Death Valley and into the small town of Lone Pine, CA for work, my '98 Camry 2.2 has been running really rough. After start-up, it idles rough and stalls on occasion. When I can get it to idle and drive it to work, it hiccoughs during low RPM operation and eventually dies when coming to a stop. What could it be?
prolly need to clean your EGR system...

Old 08-19-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wikiwiki
I had a similar problem. My 99 camry with 125k miles stalled while idling at Traffic lights. Initially it used to happen exactly 20 minutes from the time I start the car in the morning. Once it stalled, I was able to start it immediately and so I just ignored it.

Then it started happening more freuently. Looked in the forums and zeroed in on the Coolant Temperature Sensor. Took it to the Toyota dealers and asked them about the Coolant temp sensor, that a-ho said he never heard of such a thing. he wanted to get a diagnosis done so that they can fleece some money. did not fall for that.

bought a Coolant temp sensor in Autozone for 25 and a friend helped me install it. After seeing him put it in, I could have done it myself. its an easy job. only thing is you have to drain the coolant.
after installing it, haven't seen the issue. Also the idling which used to be rough is a lot smoother.
It has been 2 days. This is an easy and inexpensive fix. Try this before anything else.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 PM

My 95 2.2L had a similar problem. Solved it with a can of engine cleaner (I used Sea Foam), which blew out a bunch of carbon and other gunk deposits (also did a tune-up, fuel injector cleaner, etc.). Just follow the directions on the can, and see if a $7 investment can preclude a more expensive solution....