Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1996 camry le V6 engine wont rev if u push the gas pedal quick

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Smile 1996 camry le V6 engine wont rev if u push the gas pedal quick

This is a camry i just purchased to repair and give to a young mother in need of a car that i know.the car is 96 with the v6 engine that was swaped and the job was done bad by someone before me and runs but wont rev if u press the gas pedal quick ,if u do it easy will rev just fine.At first i tought that the cat was clogged and i was advised the same from the mechanic that did the swap ,so ive removed the exhaust system completely and there is no diference.The mechanic did bad work and had most vacuum lines conected wrong and i fixed those as well and now im wondering what else he did wrong.Im not even sure if he did the spark plug wires corect as well .I went to the local salvage yard and i was looking at lexus with the same engine and the wire were conected diferent so i've desided to ask in the forum for help.the engine have 3 coils and 3 wires please if u have the same sett up and have few moments free to take a look at those ,and help is apresiated .
if u ever had this problem or have idea what it might be please let me know

Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Each coil fires two plugs. One cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke and ignites, the other is not and thus firing this plug does nothing (a wasted spark). The engine uses dual electrode plugs.

The No 1 coil fires 1 and 4 cylinders.

No 2 coil fires 5 and 2 cylinders.

No 3 coil fires 3 and 6 cylinders.

The firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6

The No 1 cylinder is on the rear bank of cylinders nearest the firewall and closest to the timing belt/crank pulley side of engine. The rear cylinders are No 1, 3 and 5.

Cylinder line up on the bank closest to the radiator and starting from the crank side of the engine is 2, 4, 6.

The No 1 coil may have a Green power wire, No 2 a Yellow wire, No 3 a Blue wire. Ground wires may be Brown/Red.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 PM

yea i did check all coils and they seem to have good primary resistance but the secondary coils read 11k ohm-12 k ohms and autozone online says they should read 10-16 ohms so im guessing they have bad data or i do have bad coils.Just as i thought the spark wires where conected to the wrong places and i did fix that as well .All spark plugs and wires are new from the previous owner .the motor starts right away and sounds great no missfire but if u gun it (press the gas pedal quick will shut off and if u let ur foot of the gas quick enough will start aggain .At this point there is backfire .If i baby the gas pedal the engine with rev to red and wont cut off or die.Ive cleaned and tested tps sensor the body ,camsaft sensor ... I even let the motor run for 1 hour to reach normal working temp to test for blown gasket or overheating and all checks fine.The worst it that i dont have a check engine light at all so im wondering here where we go next ..I gonna check fuel pressure next

Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Not all systems are monitored by the check engine system. The general fuel system is one that is not monitored such as fuel pressure and flow, injector flow, etc.

Backfire from the intake or exhaust system?

Old 03-24-2011, 03:46 PM

backfire from the exhaust system.All injectors on the front head are tested and in the specs.On the other side i cannot test them without removing the intake .On idle i dont have a miss fire or any engine vibrations so im guessing the fuel pressure is not so great sinse the engine craps only when u push it.