Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1998 Camry XLE 6 CYL. 89,500. Check Engine Light on for two months!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 05:52 PM
Question 1998 Camry XLE 6 CYL. 89,500. Check Engine Light on for two months!

Subject - 1998 Camry XLE 6 CYL. 89,500. Check Engine Light on for two months!

Hello All Toyota Fans!

My check engine light came on two months ago. I went to Autozone in nearby Yorba Linda, Ca. I read off five error codes from their Innova OBDII reader. (see attachment)

PO 125

PO 1150 A/F

PO 1153 A/F

PO 1155 A/F

PO 1153 A/F

and PO 1155.

Most likely solution is to replace Air Fuel Ratio Sensor (AFR)

But, they may also tell me my O2 Sensor also needs to be replaced, even though it's not listed.

But, of it's NOT listed on the error codes, and with close to 90,000 miles, should I replace that, and the timing belt?

I really do not have the money to sink into this car, especially, after Toyota told me my car is only worth $600!!! Of course, that's a dealership for you, always low-balling, so they could turn around, and sell it for a few thousand more dollars. They told me that after telling my moon roof retraction parts are now obsolete, and told me they would charge me $600 just to close it up, and told me to NEVER try to open it, or, it can be stuck again. I accidentally hit the button when I was putting up my windshield sunscreen, it did start to open. then I prayed, as I hit it to close it, and it did, boy, was I relieved.

With the 90,000 suggested maintenance list, I really can not affords a lot of money, being disabled, with cancer, on very low income. Heck, I really can't even afford the Air/Fuel sensor part, and not sure which one, but Toyota told me that sensor costs $325.00 just for the part itself, and told me that also, will be soon discontinued, but hopefully, even the OEM A/F sensor costs $280, plus all the labor, I am worried sick, these repairs will cost me a lot!

Thank you all, for reading this and thank you, if you have any suggestions, since I will be taking into the repair shop tomorrow, 8-18-20.

Jim

Last edited by camryjimmy98; 08-17-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have friends/family who can work on the car or someone you can pay cash to do so? If not are there mom and pop auto repair places who charge reasonable prices. The Toyota dealer can be the most expensive place for parts and labor. Aftermarket sensor will be available for many years. Don't let the dealer intimidate or scare you!

These codes are for the O2 sensor on the exhaust of the cylinder head closest to the radiator (called Bank 2). It’s the first sensor (also called the upstream sensor or Sensor 1) when starting from the exhaust on the cylinder head.

It’s a simple, straight forward repair.

Buy an aftermarket sensor (Denso brand) to save money. Toyota owns a part interest in Denso, who makes parts for Toyota.

See link below:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...2)+sensor,5132You need to find out if the car was built to Federal (FED) or California (CA( emissions standards. There should be a sticker under the hood about the cars emissions systems providing this info.

DENSO 2344622T For Federal emissions.

DENSO 2349009 For California emissions.

The car is OK to drive but will generate increased emissions, fail an emissions test plus might get decreased MPG..

Note sure on availability of aftermarket sunroof parts. Put some tape over the switch.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:56 AM

Thanks for that info. No, I do not know any trusty mechanics. With close to 90,000 miles, I thought it would be best to go ahead and replace timing belt, water pump, seals belts, because id don't want to get stranded in the desert, have my water pump go out, then seize the engine. This is an independent shop, I would not take this to the Toyota dealership, knowing how more expensive it would be. I told them I was at their mercy. I wish I knew someone cheaper. Thank you!

Old 08-24-2020, 02:40 PM

i PAID $1500 FOR ALL THAT i LISTED. thermostat SENSOR./FUEL RATIO SENSOR. hE WAS GOING TO DO A SMAOG TEST BUT TOLD ME HIS DYNO MACHINE DID NOT RECOGNIZE MY CAR. WE WILL SEE IF IT PASSES SMOG. THANK YOU ALL!