Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

200 Toyota Camry - Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Default 2000 Toyota Camry - Nightmare

4 cylinder 2.2 liter, about 165K miles

When I first purchased this vehicle, I was told the check engine light was the oxygen sensor. I should have brought my code reader with me.

So here's the story: the codes took about a year to figure out, and turned out to be a combination of the charcoal canister and the air intake resonator had a hole in it (I had to make a homemade smoker to find and fix that one).

So finally, I got all codes cleared and check engine light is off. However, right after the air intake resonator was replaced the car will miss and will die on the road at idle after running for a while.

So the symptoms (as far as I can figure out) is as follows. I drive from home to the parkway where I open the throttle, get to a higher RPM for a few minutes (not more than 3 unless traffic is absolute hell), then when I get back on regular roads (usually within a few miles) it begins to miss and eventually die. If I let the car sit for 20+ seconds and re-crank, it runs fine again.

So far I have: tested the purge valve (no issues, holds vacuum until activated), sprayed water on the coil packs (no misses), replaced the PCV valve (it was filthy), and checked the spark plug wires (only thing weird I can find is cylinder wires 2 & 3 at the coil pack have a slightly warped boot, exposing a bit more of the lead than normal, and some black grunge on the outside of the wire pack and wires, 2 & 3 again).

I'm at the end of my rope, and I'm ready to put a bullet in this thing. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Last edited by bigun; 08-01-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:40 PM

my thoughts
something failing when hot or that wont throw a code
faulty maf, coil packs failing , plugs .fuel pump pressure/relay

that milage is getting close to worn rings or leaky vales

Old 05-25-2017, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

"However, right after the air intake resonator was replaced the car will miss and will die on the road at idle after running for a while."

How soon after replacing the box did the problem start?

Old 05-25-2017, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
"However, right after the air intake resonator was replaced the car will miss and will die on the road at idle after running for a while."

How soon after replacing the box did the problem start?
Replaced Thursday, started happening next Monday morning. So Friday was the only problem free day.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Runs fine again until the next drive? No check engine light?

Fuel pump or plugged fuel intake screen, stuck open/malfunctioning EGR valve.

The EGR can be turned off for testing.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Runs fine again until the next drive? No check engine light?

Fuel pump or plugged fuel intake screen, stuck open/malfunctioning EGR valve.

The EGR can be turned off for testing.
Runs fine until the next day. From what I can tell it's when I dog the motor for a minute or two, then it begins to experience issues a few minutes later. Letting the vehicle sit with the motor off for about 20 to 30 seconds seems to solve the issue. If I immediately re-crank it'll die again.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Would look into fuel issues such as a pump or pressure regulator (at pump). The fuel system is only monitored by too rich or too lean A/F trouble codes.