Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2001 Camry 3.0L Won't Start...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Unhappy 2001 Camry 3.0L Won't Start...

During my drive back to work from lunch I heard a loud popping sound. Almost to the point that I thought a car next to me backfired. I had the sunroof open at the time as well. The car still ran fine and everything was good. Then I went to go home. It would not start. The lights, radio, all that fun stuff came on. I have power. But it won't make a sound from the engine. Not a click, turn, anything. The lights don't dim when I turn the key and try to get something to happen, so I think it is safe to say that the battery is okay? Any thoughts or suggestions! I need to get it going quick!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Follow the large red cable from the battery to the starter solenoid located on the starter motor. Make sure the solenoid is getting battery power from this cable. If no power the cable or terminals have a problem.

Use a voltmeter to determine if the solenoid is getting power at the small wire terminal when the ign switch is turned to start. This could be a small Black/red wire (not the larger wire coming from the battery). If no power the starter circuit has a problem.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:13 PM

Pretty sure it has a large amperage stater fuse in the fuse box under the hood. Perhaps that wire rubbed through and shorted to ground and that caused the large popping noise?