Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2004 Camry Antifreeze Gurgling

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Default 2004 Camry Antifreeze Gurgling

I have read some stories on the internet about some stripped head bolts in the 2003 camry that cause head gasket leaks and resulted in the gurgling noise heard inside the 2003 camry. I have a 2004 2.4 camry with the same noise. This car was built in Kentucky. I have bleed the air out of the cooling system a year ago when I changed it and now the noise is back and I was wondering if the there is a Special Service Campaign on the 2004 Camry Head bolts or if there is any other SSC the may be causing the gurgling issue.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

No campaign.

Toyota's answer is to install a new block.

A pressure test may indicate the leak area. Ablock test kit is available at autoparts stores to test the coolant for exhaust gases.

If failed threads Time-Serts can be used in the block to repair the threads. This info should be found in a search of past posts at this site.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Default How many 2004 4 cylinder have this problem?

Since there was a lot of 2003 camry gurgling issues due to the stripprd head bolts, how many issues have been reported with the 2004 4 cylinder camry. I am sure you can request data on repair types.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Have no idea of how many engines were effected.

The link below may be helpful for the 2004 engine

https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/blown-head-gasket-1301/

As stated before conduct a Camry Forums search. A few members have repaired the blocks using Time-Serts.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Default Toyota's answer is to install a new block

If Toyota's Answer is to buy a new block, what is different about the new block to prevent this from happening again?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

The block most likely has improved threads, maybe uses helicoils.

Toyota has used aluminum blocks before in max quantities without problems. Designing a block where the threads do not strip out in normal driving should be possible.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Since you are aware of the problem, and have an answer to the problem, how come Toyota does not have a special Service campaign to support your returning customers. Toyota's business was based on returning customers that come back to buy new cars based on the quality and customer service. This is my third Toyota and the car is in great condition with the exception of design defect in the block threads. Maybe we can email Jane Beseda to find out her view on this situation?

Old 04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

This engine was introduced around 2002 the problem showing up at 40K plus miles. Thus a few years want by before the issue became large enough to notice by non-Toyota individuals.

I don’t work for Toyota, any dealership or service shop.

If this is your 3rd Toyota you might talk to the dealer where you purchased the car. Dealers have the authority to do goodwill repairs and have funds set aside for this. If the problem is the block threads and you go the direction of a new block, they might help you on costs.

I don’t know why Toyota does not have a Service Campaign on this. Assume the number engines effected has not reached critical mass.

Toyota is a mixed bag on issues of customer support.

They denied any issue of oil sludge on earlier engines for so long a class action suit was filed and Toyota eventually settled and extended the warranty on these engines.

On the other had their trucks such as Tacoma have issues of severe frame rust. Apparently the frame manufacturer failed to property coat the top of the frame allowing rust to start. Toyota initiated a truck buy back or a frame replacement depending on the circumstances. This is a very generous plan.

Why did they do this?

They presented a picture of customer goodwill but would also assume the company lawyers were worried about possible lawsuits from trucks failing as they were driven down the road although have not heard of any case like this to date.

Engine sludge may not be a safety issue.

I doubt if an email to Jane Beseda would do anything, perhaps though a well writing letter. If no response write the President of Toyota directly.

Akio Toyoda will be taking over as President; he is a grandson of the founder. Perhaps he will take another track other then to gain market share at any cost.

But before this Toyota must get involved, diagnosis the problem, etc and a claim process started.

The non-Toyota fix is something independent auto shops came up. GM had an aluminum engine block having similar problems and trial and error resulted in using steel inserts.

I don’t know why Toyota does not use this method. Assume Toyota Engineering does not think it is correct fix, the dealer can only apply approved repair processes.

The other issue is costs. If having the work done by a shop, labor will drive the cost up over $1k perhaps $2K. Many of the owners having this problem are doing the work themselves. The choice is a new block or this.

It is unfortunately that companies at times appear to go out of their way to put off customers. In the past Toyota did not need to have consistent customer support as profits were up, if this has changed now the sales are down sharply don’t know.

I only deal problems and complaints. I am sure there are a lot of satisfied Toyota owners out there, yet a satisfied owner does not complain or look for help and I rarely hear from them.