Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

87 Camry over heating

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 AM
Default 87 Camry over heating

The small bypass hose blow out the other day, and i put it down to wear and tear, so i replaced it, and the coolant. But just down the road it over heated. So now i dont know weather the overheating caused the hose to blow or the blow out has caused another problem.

Upper and lower radiator hoses are hot, temp guage reads very hot very quickly.

I think the fan switch is dodgy, but this dosent explain the over heating because i bypassed it so that they ran from cold start and it still over heated.

Thermostat?

Help is greatly appreciated

Old 06-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

When the hose blew did the temp gauge get into the red and if so for how long. If too long can cause a blown head gasket.

Fans only come on when the coolant temp is say 199F. Should be off when driving if coolant system and engine is operating OK.

Did you completely refill the coolant system. A lot of air can be left in the system when refilling.

can you see the coolant circulating when looking inside the radiator filler port (note wear safety glasses as coolant can blow back).

If the coolant blows back through the filler port air may be in the system.

Replacing the T-stat would be good idea (still it could be a head gasket issue).

Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 PM

I didn't look at the temp guage when the hose blew sorry.

Fans dont even come on when the engine is overheating

I ran the engine with the radiator cap off to get all the bubbles through, was this enough?

Where is the radiator filler port, how do i tell if the coolant is blowing back?

thankyou very much 4 you help.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

The filler port is where you add radiator fluid and cap attaches.

Blowing back is the coolant blows out the filler port as if erupting. A combination of steam and coolant blowing out.

The fans are turned on by a coolant temperature switch. If a 4 cylinder engine the temp switch is on the thermostat housing, if a V6 the switch is located on the intake manifold. Wire might be Black/Red or Brown.

Find the switch and unplug it from the wire harness. With ign switch on the fans should now run, if not there is problem in the wiring, relay, fan motors, etc.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:36 AM

all fixed, thanks. was the thermostat, probs caused the hose 2 blow, i hope there was no other damage.