Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

96 oil pump for 5S-FE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Default 96 oil pump for 5S-FE?

My mother was driving home the other day when the car died. I towed it to the driveway and checked it out this morn. When it died the oil light came on the dash. I took out the oil sender and started to crank the motor but no oil squirted out. Then I took off the oil filter and no oil came while the engine was cranking. It sounds like the oil pump is shot to me but would like some feedback on if I am correct or not. If it is the pump, should I tackle it myself or what would a mechanic normally charge? It is a clean car and runs-ran great. Has about 130K on a 5S-FE 4 cyl. engine Any input would be appreciated!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Did the oil light come on before or after the engine quit. If after this is normal, if before no.

Seldom does an oil pump fail!!!

Suggest you check for a broken timing belt. The belt also powers the oil pump.

If the engine has a distributor, remove the cap. Have someone crank the engine over while you determine if the rotor is moving. If not the timing belt is broken.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:38 AM

Thanks! I will check that out. The light did come on before the engine died. It is a 95 not a 96 like I thought if that makes a difference.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Seldom does the actual oil pump itself fail.

If the oil pump system is working OK, you should be able to build pressure buy cranking over the engine (not starting!). Removing the spark plugs will help the engine crank over faster and is easier on the battery.

If the belt is OK install a pressure gauge where the oil pressure sender goes.

Don't start the engine until you can get pressure cranking the engine over.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:28 PM

The rotor did not turn so it is probably the belt. I think this is a non interence engine, am I correct? I dont want to bother if I have a bunch of bent valves but it sounded ok while it was spinning to look at the rotor. I talked to a mechanic I use when I dont feel like fixing this stuff myself and he said about $600 for belt, pulley and water pump. Does this sound right? Again it has 130k so might as well do the pump if it has to come off anyway. Thanks for your help and let me know what you think.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, non interference. There should be no engine damage.

Pulley?

Price sounds OK. Dealer wanted $750 for belt and WP, this price was a number of years ago.

When the timing cover is off, have the mechanic inspect the cam, crank and oil pump seals for leakage as much cheaper to change them when everything is apart. Might think about replacing them anyway. My oil pump seal failed at around 150K, a pretty good leak as the fluid is under pressure when engine is on, thus could not delay the fix.

Talk to the mechanic and get an opinion.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Maybe the pulley was some type of belt tensioner but I am not sure. Good idea to change those seals too. Thank you for all of your help!