Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

97 Camry Help

Old 02-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Default 97 Camry Help

Hi guys, so to begin I'm pretty novice when it comes to cars. Biggest project I ever completed was changing a radiator. Also I know none of this is optimal, I'm just making do with what I can right now. I recently got into an accident leaving me without a car. My stepdad so happens to have a 1997 Camry that's been sitting for about 4 years and hasn't been cranked in two (with only 130,000 miles as well) Ran perfectly before shelving it. Since I don't have the money for a new car at the moment or even for a decent used I figured my best bet would be to get this one running. I put some fuel cleaner in the gas tank and topped it off, pretty sure all the gas had evaporated at this point. I put my old car audio system battery in it just to see if it would crank but all I heard was a clicking sound while all the lights dimmed in the car. So the battery wasn't giving it enough juice. Bought a new battery and had to wire some post extenders to it, which was good anyways because the old ones were extremely rusted. Tried it again and all I got was a click, so a starter problem right. Went ahead and ordered a whole new starter because the old one was the original so I was gonna require a new one soon anyway. Unbolted the old starter and it's stuck in place. Won't budge. Guess the flywheel or whatever it is called is stuck on something. I had to leave for work before I could mess with it more. Any ideas on getting it off? Most advice I've seen is whacking it with a hammer into submission. Also if the car doesn't start up once the new starter is in any other ideas on what the issue could be? I'm really trying to avoid towing it to a mechanic. Thanks for any answers guys.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

4 or 6 cylinder engine?

Did you remove all the starter bolts.

Are you sure the engine is not frozen.

Typically your symptoms are caused by poor battery cable electrical connections, bad battery cables or a bad starter solenoid.

The starter and trans housing may be corroded and now stuck together. Hitting the starter with a hammer is OK. To dampen the hammer impacts. Place a block of wood (perhaps 2 x 4) next to a solid section of the starter (the starter body) near the rear of the starter. Then hit only the wood. The idea is to break the starter free. Use mild hammer hits.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
4 or 6 cylinder engine?

Did you remove all the starter bolts.

Are you sure the engine is not frozen.

Typically your symptoms are caused by poor battery cable electrical connections, bad battery cables or a bad starter solenoid.

The starter and trans housing may be corroded and now stuck together. Hitting the starter with a hammer is OK. To dampen the hammer impacts. Place a block of wood (perhaps 2 x 4) next to a solid section of the starter (the starter body) near the rear of the starter. Then hit only the wood. The idea is to break the starter free. Use mild hammer hits.
Put the new starter in and I'm experiencing the same problem. I got to the crankshaft pulley and I'm fairly certain the engine is seized. Checked the oil and it was absolutely dry. So I'm replacing that and adding a little marvels mystery oil to it, try hitting the engine with some dw-40 as well to see if I can get it going. Thanks for your reply man.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

The V-6 and 4-cylinder piston banks are at a slight angle. Suggest putting enough Mystery oil in to make sure it covers the top of the pistons. Let this soak until the piston is free.

When free, make sure all the fluid is removed from the cylinders. A turkey baster with a hose attached can work. Move each piston up to TDC to suck it out.

Crank over the engine over with plugs REMOVED to push out what remains.

You might also remove the valve cover and check for rust.