Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

'99 Camry Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Red face '99 Camry Electrical Problem

Hey There,

I have done something very stupid... After my Camry's been standing for a while it needed a jump start - but me (in a moment of stupidity) connected up the jumpers the wrong way around (pos to neg)

Before I realised my mistake I did smell something that burned but not alot, and now, even with a new battery, only the battery warning light comes on when the ignition is on (nothing else comes on, no internal lights, no headlights, no radio, nothing) and when ignition is off only the immobiliser's light is on, again nothing else.

Obviously some fuse somewhere has blown or something of the sorts, but I cannot find the problem.

Anyone has any ideas where I can look?

Thanks!

PS: Its a 1999 Camry 200Si Automatic

Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Start by checking all the fuses and fusible links.

Fusible links are section of metal the melts if to much current is drawn through it, much like a standard car fuse.

There is a fusible link box on the drivers side of the engine compartment, rectangle but one side is angled.

Check the Alt, AM1, AM2, Main fuses.

There are also fuse boxes in the passenger compartment, one behind the drivers side ash try, another behind the drivers side kick panel.

What does work, brake lights, horn, will the engine turn over, this car have daytime running lights?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
There is a fusible link box on the drivers side of the engine compartment, rectangle but one side is angled.

Check the Alt, AM1, AM2, Main fuses.
I discovered this fuse box (right next to the battery) and checked all the small fuses and they look ok. However, there are larger fuses (labelled Main, Alt, EFI, etc., on the inside of the box lid) but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to remove and check these large fuses?

There are also fuse boxes in the passenger compartment, one behind the drivers side ash try, another behind the drivers side kick panel.
Chewcked these and all seem ok.

What does work, brake lights, horn, will the engine turn over, this car have daytime running lights?
As far as I can see NO electrics work apart from the little red light for the immobiliser and when the ignition is switched on, the battery warning indicator light comes on. Nothing further and no sound even when turning the ignition.

I have an auto-electrician coming to check the car tomorrow if I couldnt get it running myself and that is going to cost alot of cash - so please - any *urgent* help would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanx in advance!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Your situation has come up before. Typically it is a fuse or fusible link.

The big fuses are held in with screws and and tricky to remove (not obvious!).

Make sure the battery cables are making a good connection.

If the horn does not work the problem is before the 100A alt fuse. There is a fusible link between the 100A alt fuse and battery. Follow the battery cable that does not go to the starter solenoid to the fusible link. Note: there is another fusible link for the alt, the one you want has a green wire on the non-battery connection side (not white wire).

Double check any fusible links as they can be broken but appear OK.

If the horns works but the stop lights do not work and the stop fuse is good, the issue is the 100A fuse.

It is possible more then one fuse is blown.

Suspect if the red light is on the Door and or Dome fuses are OK (which one is good or bad is ?). The Dome fuse circuit splits off before the 100A fuse, the Door circuit after. Thus guessing it is the 100A fuse that is bad. Removing the fuse is tricky, suggest you don't attempt this without directions.

A google search on "removing 100A Camry fuse" will generate many hits. Review the hits to learn how to remove the fuse.

http://www.google.com/search?q=remov...=hp&channel=np

Guessing the fuse is still a Toyota only part but once out call a few auto parts stores.