Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Changing Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Default Changing Oil

I have a 1998 4 cyl Camry LE with 186,000 miles on it. For the last 90,000 miles I have been using valvoline high mileage synthetic blend. I have no complaints really but am considering switching to the full synthetic. My engine has a slight leak, i end up adding a quart or two for every 4,000 miles I drive. Should I stick with they synthetic blend or switch entirely to synthetic? Also, what is the word on oil additives and fuel treatments? Are they worth it, and which ones are the best?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mobil 1 is supposed to be one of the best synthetic oils.

Additives are most often not required (and perhaps overused) although many people use them.

Synthetic oils are great oils, they tend to clean and may clean the seals a little too well resulting in oil leaks after changing over.

The 4 cylinder is known for leaking, suggest you fix the leaks. Coming leaking areas are valve cover gasket, cam and crank seal, distributor housing seal. Less common is the oil pump seal but when this starts to fail oil leakage can be great.

Would be concerned if the engine is leaking now, it might leak more after changing over. Depends on what seal or gasket is leaking.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:04 AM

i've used mobil 1 full synthetic since day one. never had engine problems or leaks. i change my oil 3 times a year spring, summer and winter.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Smile My recommendation - engine oil, oil filters and air filter.

I use Castrol Edge full synthetic motor oil and is now rated the best. With over 100 years in the business and an R&D dept. working to to make the worlds best products. Castrol is products are buy far superior to all others in my opinion.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7050795

Now for oil filters that is a different story because Edge is 100% guaranteed for 15,000 miles between oil changes but few oil filters can last that long.

1) BOSCH DISTANCE PLUS (what I use)
2) Purolator PureONE Oil Filter (tied for second place)
3) Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter (tied for second place)

All of the above are good for at least 10k miles and that is the max I run between oil changes with NO problems for damage when I have my oil analyzed for engine wear.

The KEY to clean oil is a good AIR FILTER that is installed properly, no gaps, and changed regularly like clock work.

I use top end products that are worth it in cost due to less changes.
Actually I'm saving money - FACT!!

I had the luxury of testing engine oils while working with GE years ago through hot summers and cold winters. Synthetics are the best, they last and will not let you down if you religiously keep your maintenance program logged.

Fram has a new air filter that I'll be trying next and good for 12k miles.
This is the ONLY product I'd purchase from FRAM but it all depends on your personal needs and money to spend.

http://www.fram.com/air-filters/index.php

The old 3k oil changes are an old thing of the past. Technology has changed even Toyota recommends 5k and that is still old hat. High tech with billions on R&D have changed the way we live. Do as you please but the color of the synthetic oil means nothing. My last oil analysis showed less engine wear with my recommended parts (less that air filter) than at any time since engine break in!!!

I feel fully comfortable because my research has paid off.

2003 Camry XLE V6
not one problem since day one!

Last edited by mxd6; 05-18-2010 at 03:49 AM. Reason: add car type
Old 01-26-2019, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho

The 4 cylinder is known for leaking, suggest you fix the leaks. Coming leaking areas are valve cover gasket, cam and crank seal, distributor housing seal. Less common is the oil pump seal but when this starts to fail oil leakage can be great.
Valve cover gasket- leaked same as described. Changed gasket and leaks gone. 210k miles. Mobile 1