Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Driveline

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Default Driveline

I have a new 2009 camry with 8500 miles and I just recently noticed that if I am coasting for a little while and than apply the gas I sometimes hear and feel a singlesmall clunk coming from the driveline.Ifeel it through the steering wheel andit feels like two gears hitting eachother.It happens at all different speeds, but the common factor is going going from coasting to applyingthe gas. Does anyone know what this is and if it is normal? I have done some research and the only reasonable explanation is something called "driveline lash" and itis considered normal.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Driveline

I don't know if this is normal. Toyota has had a lot of issues with quality. Issues that were not common on older cars are now deemed normal by the dealer.

The newer cars may have a omplete fuel system throttle cutoff when the gas is let off, almost like turning the engine off. Thus when the gas is pressed the there might be more slack to take out.

Could also be a brake rotor is shifting on the hub or other brake problem.

Drive line clunk is not common in front wheel drive cars and if it can be felt it in the steering wheel would suggest you complain to the dealer. If he states it is normal ask them to put a note in your service file in case it isn't normal or gets worse. You will then have recourse.

If normal ask them to explain why this is happening, suggest you just listen then formulate your own opinion.