Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Engine not running correctly after overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Default Engine not running correctly after overheating.

I have a 1994 Camry, 4 cyl. I had a radiator hose break on the highway. I drove about a mile to get to an exit. By that time, the temp gauge was pegged at the hottest mark. I had it towed home, replaced the hose and it started fine. The next day, I tried to start the car and it would not idle. The best I can explain is that it was like the old 4 barrel carbs, when you tromp on the pedal and the car would fall on its face. After 4 or 5 tries, I can tap the pedal to get the car up to about 2000rpm. Once there, it will not die. If I let it fall below, the car will die, but start right back up again. After 2 or 3 minutes, it runs fine occasionally.

Whenever the car is running poorly, the check engine light is on. When the check engine light goes off, the car runs fine again. On a 40 mile trip to work, the car can act up 2 or 3 times. When acting up, I can put the pedal to the floor, but no respose. It doesn't backfire, just no power. I can go about 50 or so, top speed when it is acting up. As soon as the check engine light goes off, it runs fine, just like it used too. There is no smoke from the tailpipe.

I took it to a mechanic and his testor showed that the throttle position sensor was bad. He replace it, but no change in the problem. He then remove the TPS and put the old one back in.

I replaced the Plug Wires, Distributor Cap, Rotor, PCV, Plugs.

Any help in troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

The parts you replaced are not monitored by the check engine light system. You didn't by accident remove and fail to replace and hoses, cables, wires, etc?

You can check the engine codes yourself on this model of car, see link:

Pulling Toyota Camry Trouble Codes

When the check light is on, stop the engine and read the codes. If the light is off when checking the codes the system may have reset itself and no codes would be stored.