Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine Over crank before starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Default Engine Over crank before starting

2012 Camry SE

dealer installed Automate AM7 passive alarm w/ remote start .

when either master key is inserted into ignition and then the key is turned, the engine will over crank once or twice before starting. this problem is intermittent.

when i turn the key to on position -> wait for the 4 beeps noise -> press break pedal -> engine will crank and start with no problems.

in 04/2013 dealer found p1605 start malfunction error code, cleared the error and could not duplicate issue even after i told them it was intermittent.

06/2016 an ast. service manager finally witness the issue and asked if i was aware, i told him yes and the technicians never was able to fix it. they took it back and reprogrammed alarm/remote starter, reprogrammed both master transponder keys and valet key (attached to remote start module) still intermittent issue occurs....then they received a B2799 error code asked what was the cause still cant figure it out because it is intermittent.

based on the issue and reading what the error code represents, could this be an issue with the engine immobilizer? either the transponder key amplifier, transponder ecu, or the ecm is defective?

Old 06-16-2016, 05:46 PM

Toyota P1605: Knock control - malfunction Cause: ECM
is not related to the immobilizer or remote start

I think this is the problem
dealer installed Automate AM7 passive alarm w/ remote start .

best guess the start system needs the brake pedal depressed so it knows someone is in the drivers seat

and the best fix is the new way you start the car

when i turn the key to on position -> wait for the 4 beeps noise -> press break pedal -> engine will crank and start with no problems.

code 2799 explained
B2799 TOYOTA Engine Immobilizer Malfunction | AutoCodes

Last edited by dirty hands; 06-16-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

The B2799 is error in communication between ECM an ID code box.
Error in communication lines.
Communication ID different from ID code box.

Issues can be ID code box, ECM or wiring harness.

Did you get an owners manual with this alarm system?

The brake pedal needs to be depressed for the immobilizer system to start working to recognize the key.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:18 AM

dirty hands, my mistake that was a typo...it was a P1604* startability malfunction code. both times in 04/2013 & 06/2016

toyomoho, originally when we received the car i read the toyota owners manual and the automate manual. Toyota manual clearly states to depress the brake pedal before starting engine. Automate manual states if using the remote start feature to turn the key to on position and then press brake pedal. I never had an issue starting the car by depressing the brake pedal this way and explained this to the ast service manager.

it is only when the car went to the dealer for service the ast service manager, porters, and mechanics start the car they don't go through this process. They just turn the key and it over cranks on them 1-2 times before starting and they are telling me this is not suppose to happem...this makes me believe they dont know their own product that they are selling and servicing.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

The code might occur if engine turns over but does not start or stalls.

The problem then is someone who doesn't know the Automate system tries to start the car?

If the system is working as per the Automate manual then others who are telling you there is problem appear to be wrong.