Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

First post here, 98 Camry engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:07 AM

Well the Camry is now dead. After the video above was taken, and based on the clean report from Blackstone, we put new oil and filter on it and were going to drive it to the mechanic to see if he/she could find the mystery tap. Well, the mystery is no more. The car made it about two, maybe three miles and threw a rod or something. It happened so quick we couldn't even get the car off the road. Started rattling really loud then POP and that was it. Shook the whole car. Had it towed home and pulled the valve cover, everything looked fine. Pulled back the timing cover, belt looked good. Got a braker bar on the crank and broke it loose and could hear something clunking around in the oil pan. Locked up, won't even crank.

I have no idea what let go. I'm beginning to think there must have been some sort of component failure to let go that fast. So, the car is dead. I guess someone is going to get a cream puff Camry if they want to put an engine in it. Local shop quoted me about 3K to put a rebuild in it. I think we're going to buy a Subaru..

Cheers,

John