Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Loss of Power/Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 03:13 PM
Default Loss of Power/Acceleration

ave a 2011 3.5l V6 XLE Camry and about 3 weeks ago i noticed it did not accelerate like it used to, the problem kept getting worse until it got to the point where i can hold it pedal to the medal up hill for a minute straight and the rpms would hit at most 2-2,500 and i would lose speed still, it also would have a top speed of about 70 on a flat straight away which would take a while to get up to with my pedal all the way down. For reference before i could go 60-100 without any problems and have had it up to 130 before.

So i decided to clean the throttle body after looking some stuff up online, this didn’t help and a week later the entire car shut down on me while driving, the engine light that came up read throttle body problems. So i ordered a new throttle body and installed it, i also changed the oil / oil filter because why not. This whole process actually worked and I regained the ability to go 0-80 without any issues and have my rpms hit 4-5k. However this only lasted one day, and when i went to work this morning my car was back to having the same exact problems as before.

To be clear, my car accelerates very slowly, only hits a top speed of about 70, rpms rarely and i mean extremely rarely exceed 2000-2500 no matter what. Also, i can floor it in park and have the rpms hit 6k with out a problem, just not while driving. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou!!!

Old 07-15-2021, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

If possible try to determine if the issue is the engine or trans. As in the engine is putting out power but the trans is slipping.