Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Repair Or Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:19 AM
Default Repair Or Replace?

At the moment, i have a Camry 1995, which has racked up 300,000KM (186411 miles). The car is seriously sick, it studders at low RPM's, possibly ignition related problems, gets really crap fuel eco, at most 450km a full tank, has a oil leak, which i'ev been told the oil pump seals have let go, and the aircon has let go.
My question is should i just replace the engine all together, for lower mileage engine?, or try fix the problems?
I know if i change the engine, i would have to go through road authorities just to make sure the car is properly engineered, with certificate, by a workshop, but in reality is it really worth the hassel? Or worst comes to worst, rebuild the old engine?, which i highly doubt i'll do.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Repair Or Replace?

V6 or 4 cylinder engine, is the engine burning a lot of oil, how much work can you do yourself?

Suggest you determine the condition of this engine then make a decision. Could be just bad plugs, ign wires, etc. Oil pump seal leak is common.

186K is not that much unless the engine was abused, oil never changed, etc.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:48 AM

Vehicle is a 2.2lt DOHC motor, im assuming the oil pump seal replacement is a engine out job? I will check anything related to ignition system a.s.a.p, and prob from there to a mechanic. As for bad fuel eco, is it possible the fuel injectors, or other? Another thing, im not to sure, but do toyota's run a sensor in airbox?
At the moment im just assesing the situation, and as money comes in, ill try fix the problems.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:00 PM

Okay, 2.2 means something I can help with! My 94 2.2 LE has about 147xxx right now, and I had some pretty bad idle issues with it recently, and one trick that toyomoho told me about was cleaning the IAC valve. Another issue could be if say you were havin issues with your exhaust. Studdering at low rpms I've dealt with, even stalling in an automatic. Not necessarily ignition related, it could be having trouble breathing. Letting out theexhaust gases and taking in fresh air. This could also take part in bad fuel economy.

Im not saying this is definitely your issue, but checking these simple things are a lit easier on the pockets than changin the block.

And yes the 5sfe has a sensor attached to the stock airbox, if the sensor is not plugged in, that would throw off your computers a/f ratio and cause it to run rich. Not good on gas either.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

The 5SFE is pretty easy to work on.

The oil pump seal can be fixed by removing the pump then replacing the seal. This is an engine IN-CAR job.

The timing belt covers will need to be removed as such if you are thinking about a new belt, water pump, etc this would be the time to do it.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:33 AM

Thanks alot guys, it really cleared some things up. I guess the main thing is now to try get this sick puppy up and running. Most of the issues that iev encountered seems to be okay to fix by myself, the oil pump seal will prob be done by qualified mechanic, but the rest of the issues i will try and sus out.