Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Replacing front seal in 95 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Default Replacing front seal in 95 Camry

Hello I wish I would have found this forum about a year ago. Already got a lot of knowledge I wish I would have had before I paid to have things done. I have relaced the motor and the transmission in my car. I now know that the front seal and rear seal should have been replaced along with the timing belt. I now have leaks in the front seal. Atleast that is what I was told by one mechanic. He told me that the engine would have to be pulled to replace a $28 part. A total of $300. I have found info on the internet that the engine does not have to be pulled. Does anyone know and is it a major job. Is there any other thing it could be? The oil is leaking on to the rack and pinion. Having to put about a quart every three weeks. Thanks for any help and info.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Replacing front seal in 95 Camry

Make sure it is a seal leaking and not a valve cover gasket as often the case.

The job can be done without removing the engine, access is through the passengers side wheel well.

The crankshaft pulley, timing belt covers, timing belt and timing belt crank pulley need to be removed.

Suggest you pickup a Haynes, Chilton or other service manual as these books are low cost and will cover all the details plus have photos.

As the timing belt needs to be removed you will need to realign the cam and crank correctly to reinstall it and need the info to do this correctly. Your library may have these books for checkout or in the referance section.