Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Replacing Spark Plugs After 200+K miles!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 05:40 PM
Default Replacing Spark Plugs After 200+K miles!

So my '02 LE 2.4L has 205K and the sparkplugs haven't been changed in at least a decade (if ever). Recently inheriting this old sweethheart I'm trying to catch it up on all the maintenance that it's long over due for. So w/ a relatively warm & bright winter afternoon I finally changed 'em myself. My 2 biggest worries were: 1)breaking a plug removing it and/or 2)getting shocked (go ahead, have a laugh, I'm new to all this & don't deny it). Ordered some NGK Laser Iridiums & a ratchet, 6" extension, & spark plug replacement attachment. Grand total: $73.
Getting the plastic cover off the engine block was a little trying, since I didn't want to break it. I mean, I bench nearly a HUNDRED pounds so I didn't want to overuse my considerable strength. Anyway, finally finagled it off. The Youtube tutes I watched included the wise tip to remove the nut holding the entire rubber coil thing and pull that out w/o detaching the electrical connectors since the tabs are known to break. Once I had those puppies pulled out, the ratchet extension gripped easily onto the old plugs and came lose w little force. This was my other worry was breaking one in the "well" and then being SOL. I did notice a small amount of oil on the 2 cylinder wells closest to the passenger side, but only a little. I asked the family member I got it handed down from and she confirmed that she never got the plugs changed, so they were at 200+K! Bosch's, so maybe that's why.
Anyway, gently dropped the new NGKs in each well & gently tightened each to where I felt resistance, then gave it another 1/4 turn slowly. Gettng the rubber coils back in each hole took a little jostling but wasn't too difficult. Retightned all the nuts and w/ my breath held I turned the key: the old girl kicked right on & started purring extra smooth
Let it turn for a few minutes, noticing how much smoother the idle was and how the knocking sound had gone away. Took it around the neighborhood, noticing how the "mooshiness" from the gas pedal is gone, replaced by a spunky response that says "Let's go places!"
Love your Camry and it'll love you back!

Old 12-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Great post, thanks!

Old 12-13-2019, 06:24 AM

Well done. Those Iridium spark plugs are supposedly good for 100K miles, so you doubled that with the first set, lol. There's a couple of good reasons to replace spark plugs within the maintenance schedule:
1. As you stated above, the vehicle now has normal acceleration with no backfires.
2. Lesser known reason--once an old plug starts to misfire, unburned fuel will flow through the exhaust and eventually damage your catalytic converter. That's an expensive part--even if you do the work yourself.
Much cheaper and smarter to spend $40 or $50 on new spark plugs.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Thanks guys. Still running smooth as butter a week after sparkie change. Just got the oil changed today and went w/ the Mobil1 Synthetic High Mileage. Of course the shop skimped on the fliter & went w/ one of those $3 FRAMs that I hear nothing but bad things about but oh well. Without a jack I can't see me getting up in there to put a good one in.
Feels good doing your own maintenance & using top shelf gear!

-Camreeeee

Old 03-19-2020, 02:31 PM

Fun post. I don't want to be cheap or go performance. I have a 2004 LE 4 Cyl 230K miles and it is past time for plugs. I have had the car since 2005 at 25K miles and changed the plugs after 110K. Original wires also. So... what plugs should I get for this age and miles of a car. Runs well. Will drive it about 10K miles per year at most. Thanks!!

Old 03-19-2020, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by cherrmj
Fun post. I don't want to be cheap or go performance. I have a 2004 LE 4 Cyl 230K miles and it is past time for plugs. I have had the car since 2005 at 25K miles and changed the plugs after 110K. Original wires also. So... what plugs should I get for this age and miles of a car. Runs well. Will drive it about 10K miles per year at most. Thanks!!
I'd recommend the OEM Denso Iridium plugs. I bought a set of six for my '02 Camry V6 for $40 via Amazon; a set of four runs about $30.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:16 PM

Ahhh . . . just remembering the good old days, when we replaced plugs, point, condenser, rotor and cap every 15 to 25 thousand miles. New plug wires every 25 to 50 thousand.