Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Transmission or Differential??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Default Transmission or Differential??

Hey anyone if you can Help....im Down to my knees now[&o]

I have a 93 Camry 4cly auto...Everytime I have the car running when i switch it to reverse..to jams into gear...same way with drive.. but when i drive off the gears seem to be catching fine but when I am slowing down to like a Stop light or something the car jerks not hard...

my mechanic says its the differential..but i dont think it is because it was fine a couple weeks ago before i got my new alarm installed....When the guys was installing my car alarm he damaged my starter...after that.. thats when the jerking gotten worse...the jerking was lightly only on the reverse part but not on Drive at all

Please help for solutions[&o]

Old 05-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Transmission or Differential??

Can you explain a little better what "jams into gear" means.

The car does not move, grinding noises, you press on on gas pedal and nothing happens, the engine boggs down? Do you think this problem is more related to the engine then the trans.

What reasons did the mechanic give for the problem being in the differential? Does the differential have fluid in it?

Old 05-17-2008, 01:13 PM

what happens is when i put the car in like Reverse or drive..its like a thud or a force like its trying to get into gear..but it responds like that when the engine is warmed up...it does it on drive also but not so hard...and about the fluid i wouldnt know...how do i go by checking it?

Old 05-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Are you stating when you put the trans into Drive or Reverse there is a pause, then a jerk and thud noise? But the trans does shift into gear. That the jerk and thud is less when the trans is hot?

Typcially this is a result of trans wear, bad trans fluid or too high of engine idle. What is the idle speed both hot and cold? Check the trans fluid for color. Should be red or redish in color, if black change it.

Check fluid level when hot such as after a drive. Park the car, engine running, parking brake engaged. Shift between Park and Reverse pausing in ever gear then back to Park.

Engine still running, car in Park. Pull the dipstick out, fluid level should be between the two notches on the stick. There are two sets of notches use the one marked "HOT" not the "COLD."

You may need to clean the dipstick and recheck a few times to get an accurate indication.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:16 PM

Alright im leaning towards the Idling because ....the idling goes past the the normal idle rate..and when i change gears it does take a half a second get into place or whatever you call it...the color of the oil is red....alright ill do that...thank you for response!!..