Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Transmission flare or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Default Transmission flare or something else?

I've had my 2008 Camry XLE V6, 6-speed auto since October, 2007. It currently has ~9400 miles and other than multiple interior rattles, it's been trouble free. Last month I started noticing an odd transmission issue. The issue is felt at speeds 40 miles or less during street driving or slow freeway traffic. It happens intermittently and is difficult to duplicate on demand.

The issue occurs like this - I'm driving and the transmission seems to become "loose" (sorta like an exaggerated pause in stepping on and releasing the clutch on a manual transmission) and the engine increases RPMs about 1000 to 2000 and then "reconnects" and drives normally.

Initially, I thought they were sloppy up shifts but it doesn't always involves gear shifts.

When I described the issue to the dealer, the service writer told me it was because the transmission is "electric" and shifts differently than other trannies.

I didn't mention the word "flare" because I wasn't sure if this is the symptoms associated with flares.

What do you guys think?

Old 04-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Transmission flare or something else?

The transmission and throttle are electronic controlled and have a kind of intelligent drive system. This system is supposed to modify throttle response and shifting based on how you drive. The computer "learns" as you drive.

Toyota has had issues with trans flare during shifting, not all owners experience this. If this is flare, Toyota has attempted to solve the problem using computer software flash upgrades, some owners have gotten new trans parts, a new or rebuilt trains. But this does not always solve the problem.

I suggest you do a Google search on this issue plus check out posts on www.toyotanation.com, their Generation 6 Camry forum. Also check for Technical Service Bulletins covering this issue.

It appears Toyota may not fully understand the causes of this strange trans behavior; as such they may not have a very good response to your complaint. Unfortunately some dealers tend to provide a blanket response (its normal), as they would rather not deal with the problem.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

I could be wrong, but i think you should be able to ask the dealorship to check your VIN# to see if your model is affected by the transmission issue. The issue had to do with symptoms you've described, but some worse than others. Typically they said gear 3 and 6 would fail/have issues. I will say that the new transmissions and vehicles tend not to drive like the old cars. Our 2005 highlander also doesnt have the smoothest drivetrain.
I would recommend you ask the dealership to look into it, and perhaps request a printout confirming that your vehicle isnt affected. I would probably also hop online to look for the recall/issue. www.toyotanation.com is a great forum where you can do a simple search and yield many results in regards to this issue.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:53 PM

I've posted my question on Toyota Nation forum. It's very frustratingdealing with my service department. Longo Toyota in California I guess is too big to care once they've made the sale.