Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

unknown unused connector

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 01:42 AM
KPV
Default unknown unused connector

Hey guys,
I got a EU 2001 5sfe Camry with a manual transmission. There is an unused 6pin connector with a cap on it near the front left inner fender, next to the brake fluid tank tied up with electrical tape to the tank/wiper loom.
Just wondering if anyone knows what it's for.

Part number is 90980-10988. Can't find it in any electrical diagrams.

Old 05-06-2023, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Color of the wires, engine model?

Old 05-06-2023, 03:34 PM
KPV

it's a six pin with black/yellow, black/red, white, black, and black/white or black/blue.

The car is a 2001 Camry with the 5SFE with manual transmission.

Ive checked the EWD for the model, but it wasnt listed in the diagrams, niether in the connector pictures page, nor in the connectors' part number page.

The car is for european market, but as far as I know, this pdf is the ewd manual for the US variant.

Thanks
--Pavel

Old 05-06-2023, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Appears to be for an optional TVSS siren. Toyota Vehicle Security System.

Old 05-07-2023, 03:56 AM
KPV

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Appears to be for an optional TVSS siren. Toyota Vehicle Security System.
Do you happen to have a wiring diagram for this circuit? I do know that black/red is 12v+ from ignition. Or at least a part number for the actual siren?
Thanks
--Pavel

Old 05-07-2023, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

The US factory wiring didn't list the plug part number. Assume non US cars can have different wiring. Could not find a EU wiring diagram.

Found the number on the pages below:

http://manualespurdy.cisdigital.com/...o/l_partno.pdf

EWD599E appears to be a supplement for Japan cars sold to the middle east.

Beyond this don't know but it makes sense. It's a UE car (who knows how its wired, ha, ha), optional equipment (maybe Toyota includes wiring here), 6 prong connector with same P/N as yours, location of plug in car seems to be OK for siren mount.

Does the car have TVSS? If so perhaps someone removed the siren as the wiring appears to be hot. A Toyota can have wiring installed but it the devices were not installed with it the wiring is typically not connected to power. The fuse box may have the wire but there my be no metal fuse holder in the fuse panel for a fuse.

Or as recall TVVS might have been a dealer install option. If so Toyota may have made it easy for the dealer to install by having wiring but having hot wiring seems unusual. TVVS system were both dealer and factory install.

Read up on his as there may be the TVVS security box in the car somewhere. The dealer installed unit had instructions that one might find with a search.

Old 05-08-2023, 01:46 AM
KPV

Thanks, that was helpful.
I know that Toyota sometimes installs a wiring loom that has a connector unused. This was the case here, judging from the connector being wrapped in electrical tape and oem cap was installed. The wiring of the connector was integrated in the original loom near the fender. It just didn't have the actual component/option installed.

The car does have a immob and wireless door lock control with remote on the master key. But not the theft deterrent system.

Looking at the part diagrams on Megazip, it does show a component at that location.
The wiring was hot with the ignition to ON.

But this alarm component is not listed in the diagram with its own part number. oh well. I'll try to find one at the junkyard to see if it might add the option just by adding the siren to the system.

My initial idea was to find and use ignition ON 12v+ so I can connect DRLs to the car, and that was the only empty connector that I found it on without having to splice any wires.

But since I couldn't find what the other wires were for and was too tight to try and find the wires with the multimeter, I manage to run a control ground wire to the new headlight stalk thru the hood unlock cable opening. and connect it to the rear fog lamp control switch.

Thanks again