General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*URGENT* 1995 camry immobiliser help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Default *URGENT* 1995 camry immobiliser help

hi guys

im in need of urgent help to get my car started. i have somehow triggered the immobiliser and cannot disarm it. I had an auto electrician come out to have a look at it and he said it was an aftermarket immobiliser and could disconnect it for me for $185! I thought surely i would be able to disconnect it myself with some help from the wise. anyway i rang up the guy i just bought the camry off only a month ago and he said he hadn't had an aftermarket immobiliser and that it was factory. so im not sure whether it is aftermarket or factory? the auto elec showed me this little box under the steering column and assured me it was aftermarket.

how should i go about disconnecting it?

oh and i dont have a remote for it

Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 PM

**UPDATE**

when i used to start the car, the hazards would flash for about 30 seconds when it wouldnt turn over. i just disconnected that little box under the steering column the auto elec said was the immobiliser and it still doesnt turn over but the hazards no longer flash. when i plug the box back in the hazards flash again.

here's the black box under the steering column:
Name:  NoByL.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  m1Fbt.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  76.2 KB

Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

What exactly does the car do or not do? Does the engine no turn over, turn over but not start?

I don't think Toyota offered a factory immobilizer in 1995, perhaps remote locks. Is there any writing on the box, any reference to Toyota or any other companies name, model number, etc. If so, look it up on the internet.

Compare the wiring type and color for this device with the rest of the car. If a Toyota product it would be of the type and quality. I doubt Toyota would have used a tie-wrap to install this unit.

You might start by removing the upper and lower covers around the steering console. Determine if the box wiring tapped into the ign key and turn signal wiring.