General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Camry Gas Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Default 01 Camry Gas Leaking

I recently had a new engine put in my 01 Camry. Was done by a mechanic who was recommended to me by a friend. They don't have a big shop or anything, but I was told they were good. They did a good job on the engine, but when I got it back there was another problem that I did not have before.

He was bringing my car back to me when he called and said it would be longer then planned because he ran out of gas. Which I thought was odd because I had a half tank in it when he took it for repair. So I met him at the gas station they brought my car there for me to pick up. When I started filling it gas was leaking from underneath the car. The guy told me that it was my overflow hose and got under the car and did something and it stopped.

I drove away but it started leaking gas again. I managed to make it home but when I looked under my car I saw this open ended hose with a piece of branch jammed in it to plug it up.

Now my car was parked and not drivable for the past couple of months prior to getting it fixed, so I can't say for sure when this happened, it's possible someone did it before, but I think it's odd he didn't mention he saw a big piece of wood shoved in there. My brother told me that he doesn't think there is such a thing as an overflow hose under the car connected to the gas tank. I have been trying to find some schematics or something online to see if that hose was suppose to be connected to something and was possibly cut, or if an open ended hose is suppose to be connected to my gas tank or not.

So I would appreciate some feed back if anyone can tell me the purpose of this hose or if I might have been lied to.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Where is the leak and the hose with the stick installed.

There is no overflow line that would allow fuel to spill on the ground.

The tank has lines to vent the air as the tank fills with gas. The air is routed back to a point close to the filler port with the fuel goes in. If the auto off nozzle at the gas pump for some reason kept flowing fuel would start coming out the filler port where the nozzle was installed.

There are also lines that route the fuel vapors to a canister. They are stored then burned off in the engine. The canister assy is under the car in front of the fuel tank.

If the hose is cut or came off look for the other end or a place it may install on the canister assy.

There would also be a line running from the canister to the engine to allow the vapor to get to the intake manifold.