General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 camry power steering pump options

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 10:08 AM
Default 04 camry power steering pump options

Hey, Newbie here, working on my in-laws Camry. It's an 04 v6 XLE. Looking at the online dealerships there are 2 options for a power steering pump. They are based on what type of flow control valve you have. Type A or type B. I pulled the pump and flow control valve but it doesn't look like it matches the lousy diagrams on the toyota sites. Attached a copy of the schematic, part# 44330 highlighted in green is the flow control valve. Below are images of my valve and pump. thanks in advance if you can clear this up for me.

Old 04-17-2022, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Confusing yes!

Every parts website has their own way of describing parts.

I went to an official Toyota dealer online website that sells pars online. These sites allow one to input the VIN and model number.

Per the Toyota dealer parts website, if the cars VIN is as shown on the Snap-On file and the model is an XLE then the part number is below.

44310-06080

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/v-2004-toyota-camry--xle--3-0l-v6-gas/steering--pump-and-hoses

If you click on the part you will get a more detailed drawing of the unit. The valve appears to be the same as in the Snap-On diagram.

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/oem-p...MtMGwtdjYtZ2Fz

You should confirm the above info!

It appears the pumps are also differentiated by how the drive pulley attaches as in a bolt on or press on (splined shaft).

The Snap-On drawing shows a pressed on pulley.

As far as the valve goes, I find no reference at the usual parts sites as to needing to know the valve type when ordering a pump.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:24 AM

When I go to partsouq and put in my vin (yes the same one that is in the attachment), they give me two options for part #44320 . here: VANE PUMP & RESERVOIR (POWER STEERING) | Toyota CAMRY MCV30L-CEAGKA ACV30,MCV3# | Parts Catalogs | PartSouq

Both options say "refer to illustration" both are MCV3X and XLE. the illustration being the same one that McGeorge dealership emailed me and I attached originally. They further explained that I was to look at the 2 valves 44330 highlighted in green and pictured above the pump assembly and see which one my was.

Copy of Email text from McGeorge:Hi,
It appears that there is only one way to tell, and it depends on which flow control valve your pump uses. I will email you a diagram (this will come from a separate email and you will not be able to reply to it) that shows where this valve is and what each one looks like. If you are able to get to this valve, please respond to this email (not the diagram email) and we can proceed accordingly.
-----------

Thank You
Toyota Online Parts
Be sure bookmark our new URL
toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com

I went to toyota parts direct and they had pictures NOT illustrations and the pump you referenced (type A) DID look like mine.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:40 AM

Ok, I figured it out. I didn't dig deep enough. the valve is down in the pump! The pic I posted of what I thought was the valve is actually the "pressure port" or part # 44308 in the image. I had to reach down in there with needle nose and pull the valve out of the pump. It looks exactly like valve A in the diagram.

So in dis-assembly you remove the electrical wire by pressing with your thumb and unclipping it from some kind of valve or sensor. That part isn't shown in the diagram but is probably in an electrical section. A 19mm wrench then fits that to break it loose. Then the banjo bolt and pressure hose come off with a 24mm. Then the pressure port comes off with a 24mm. THEN ...reach down in and pull out the flow control valve. I used needle nose pliers. So, Now I can order pump 44310-06080 type A.

Last edited by g-man; 04-18-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:11 PM

Going by this service manual I think I ordered the wrong pump. Here they show type A and type B identified by the pulley ...either pressed on or nut. This is completely different info that I received about identifying the flow control valve.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Your shop manual drawing showing the difference between type A and B is from the Toyota factory service manual.

Vendors don't reference the valve. They can reference type of pump pulley as in pressed on or bolt on.

Old 04-19-2022, 10:04 AM

Agreed, the way to identify the part is by the pulley. The confusion came when I went to partsouq and looked up the pump vane assembly. I had 2 part numbers and both stated in the written text after the part number, engine model and vehicle model to "refer to illustration" but the only illustration with type a and b on the page is the one with the valves AND probably should have referred to a specific illustration ie illustration #1 with #1 being the illustration from the service manual of the different pulleys..

Adding to the confusion, an online toyota parts supplier, emailed me with instructions to follow the "valve type" to get the correct pump. UGH!!

Old 04-19-2022, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Did you finally order the right part?

It would help if Toyota better described A and B in their parts catalog or have third party vendors link Type A and B to the pulley design.

Old 04-19-2022, 04:15 PM

my engine is 1mz-fe. Going by the 02-06 power steering service manual info on the PULLEY type ...I ordered type B pump. Here is another clue that I think I have a type B pump.. during disassembly the service manual says this:

And looking at my pump ...the bolts heads are on the back of the bracket and there ARE two nuts in the front on those bolts, just behind the pulley. I'm guessing you won't see those nuts on a type A pump.

I'm still getting info maybe dis-information about the flow control valve having something to do with ordering the pump. The Toyota parts dealership asked me via email what letter was on the flow control valve. I told them C. They replied there are a type A and type B for a flow control valve marked C. Wow. Looking at Partsouq.com Catalog there are 12 different flow control valves for my vehicle/vin . the all have a "mark" with a letter followed by "type A" or "type B". I really think the type A or type B is just one or the other flow control valves ...the mark letter may further differentiate the valve.

Here are some of the email texts (in italics) I have received that totally baffle me.It appears that there is only one way to tell, and it depends on which flow control valve your pump uses. I will email you a diagram (this will come from a separate email and you will not be able to reply to it) that shows where this valve is and what each one looks like. If you are able to get to this valve, please respond to this email (not the diagram email) and we can proceed accordingly.

The diagram in the follow up email was the one I posted above with the green highlight of the flow control part #.

Hi,
Does the control valve have a letter or mark number stamped on it?

I replied it has a C on it.We do show those 2 pumps as correct options, however the types from the attachment you sent do not apply to what we are seeing. The 2 types we show deal with the 2 different types of flow valves as previously mentioned

The attachment he refers to I believe is the copy of the page I sent him from the service manual ...the same one I posted above about the pulleys. They seem to be mystified!

The "C" mark still has the 2 different pumps. The attachment provided is different than the 2 types we show in our catalog.

this from a nationwide USA toyota online parts supplier.

Old 04-19-2022, 04:22 PM

Ordered pump Type B. Part #4431006110. Based on the pulley. and this:

Last edited by g-man; 04-19-2022 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added info