General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'04 - Only drivers door power lock working.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:18 AM
Default '04 - Only drivers door power lock working.

Trying to help my neighbor figure out their lock problem. Their '04 Camry just started having lock issues. The keyfob, key, and switchwill only lock/unlock the drivers door. The other doors are making a noise (relays or actuators?) when locking/unlocking is attempted, but they won't lock or unlock. Also, using the key in the passenger door will lock and unlock both front doors.

They called the local dealer, who said that it might be the lock module or possible one of the individual relays, but of course recommended bringing the car in to diagnose the problem (for $97 to start). They mentioned the price of the main module was $300+ (ouch!). Also that it might just be a shorted out relay.

I would like to find a schematic or diagram that locates all of the parts for the system, but sounds like that might be hard to find. Or anything else I can use to troubleshoot this further.

Any help greatly appreciated,
Steve H.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Default RE: '04 - Only drivers door power lock working.

Is he sure he doesn't have a child safety lockout switch? Looking at my manual there is a master door lock relay that looks to be under the hood, passenger side, and door switches. Not much else, no separate relays. The 04 could be way different.If you were talking to the "service advisor" they usually don't know much. I don't havewiring schematics as that was another $75 if memory is correct. You could try an auto electric shop with non-dealer overhead and lower hourly flat rate.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:07 PM

Sorry I don't have more specifics but I spoke to my neighbor today. They took the car into the dealer for the $100 diagnostic. Thedealer said it is a controller ($900) under the dashboard and would be 3 hours ($300) to replace it. My neighbor declined the work.

Maybe I can get more info in the next few days.

Thanks,
Steve H.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:19 AM

I find the 3hr $300 charge quite high, unless they have to remove the dash. $900 for a 3 year old relay also seems like gouging, especially when it only comes with a 1 year warranty. Maybe Toyo has a secret warranty for thosewho complain enough. I would call the factory rep. and see what Toyo wants to do. Don't ask - don't get.He could also try tosub in an aftermarket relay. He may have to have it hardwired into the system. I found this:
http://www.a1electric.com/index.htmwhich sells aftermarket door lock systems. They may be able to offer some tech help.