General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Default 07 auto trans

New here,great site.Does o7 auto tans require filter or is a sealed system?Need to change fluid,any tips would be helpful.Thanks.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 PM

I've never seen an engine oil like filter on a auto trans from the manufacturer. The only "filtering" is a fine screen in the pan which usually never needs replacing, maybe only cleaning. The pan also contains magnets to hold metal bits. I'd confirm with the dealer. How many miles on trans fluid?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:49 AM

The 07 uses Toyota WS ATF- which doesn't need replacement under normal usage. While i would always recommend to replace this fluid regardless of what Toyota says- i would suggest you use only Toyota WS fluid.

JJ

Old 07-02-2009, 05:22 PM

fluid has 35k on it.I'm a pretty capable weekend mechanic,would this be like a routine trans service?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 PM

I just bought a 07 camry with 71k on it, and asked the Toyota dealer about changing the ATF also. One said it doesn't need it (when I bought a cabin filter), and then another said (when I went back next day to get Toyota antifreeze) if it has a dipstick, then it would need changing. I checked mine, and it is not clean looking, so yes, I am going to change it with the recommended WS fluid in the near future. When I asked how to check the level, like engine running and in neutral, park, engine off, etc., he went and checked with a service tech, and then came back and told me it was a dealer thing only, because the temp of ATF had to be at a certain temp, blah, blah, blah... I think the engineers at Toyota should have the crap beat out of them, because what is so flippin difficult about putting how to check the level of the ATF in the manual. If my transmission fails at 150k, are they going to replace it for free? NO. So, since mine has never been done, I am just going to fill it to where it was before... I think everyone should email Toyota and tell them to fire all their stupid engineers, or at least beat the crap out of them.