General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken timing belt, locked engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Default Broken timing belt, locked engine?

Hey this is my first post so bear with me.

This weekend I bought a 93 Camry LE with the 3VZ-FE v6 in it. I was told by the owner the timing belt broke. I had it towed home and chraged the battery but when I tried to start it, the engine made what sounded like a quarter of a rotation and locked up. My dad and I assumed it was a bent valve, but I was looking around online and saw the motor is non interference. so what should I be expecting? are the valves hard enough to break a rod or anything on the longblock? Did a valve somehow drop out of the head and get jammed? I'm trying to see what I need to look for to get it running.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:16 AM

Hope you got a good price. Did you check the oil level? How long did the car sit before you bought it? Might be just rust in cylinders. Spray some penetrating fluid into the cylinders then try turning the engine by hand using the crankshaft bolt (CW - I think this engine designed to turn CW) and the plugs removed. You can try to rock it in reverse direction a little, maybe a 1/4 turn, but make sure if it turns to rotate it 2+ turns (CW) before trying to start it again. Don't force it too much. If no luck pull the heads. Valve may have dropped.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:38 PM

Take part of the timing belt cover off to see if the timing belt actually broke... which I am almost sure it did by your description... so, just take it all apart, put a new timing belt on with everything lined up, and then see what happens.