General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1989 Camry Tail lights wont work.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:26 AM
Default 1989 Camry Tail lights wont work.....

Hi, I have a 1989 Camry and I don't know anything about cars. I bought this car a month ago. The woman that owned it took really good care of it. She passed away and her family couldn't find the manuals that came with the car. The tail lights stopped working and replacing the bulbs did not fix the problem. The dash also shows "lights" on it. I know nothing about cars so I went to the auto parts store and looked at a manual and it looked confusing. I went accross the street to another auto parts store that sold a different manual made by Chilton and still don't understand how all of the lights work. I found the little fuse box in the car by the brake pedal and the fuses look fine. I looked at the wires, plugs, and all the stuff leading to the tail lights in the trunk. I have spent hours on line tonight trying to read about tail lights online and still do not know what I should be checking. I would really appreciate any advice!!! Thanks

Old 01-26-2008, 06:58 AM
Default RE: 1989 Camry Tail lights wont work.....

If you are determined to fix this yourself then I would buy the Haynes repair manual at one of the parts stores ($18).It's written pretty simply and with some effort willhelp you a lot.Once you have used the manual to try and trace the problem you may have enough information to give us a direction to help you. This is just one of those things that need to be learned by hands-on.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Is it only the tail lights, do the running and license plate lamp work?

All these lights run off the same fuse, 15A TAIL. If these other lights work the fuse is ok.

Tail light wire colors for power going to the lights appear to be light Blue/Red, Green, Light Green. And return (ground) is White/Black.

Check for power to the tail lights at the green wires.

As Pedro states the Haynes manual (Number 1023) is strait-forward and has good wiring diagrams.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Cindyv11

Hi, I have a 1989 Camry and I don't know anything about cars. I bought this car a month ago. The woman that owned it took really good care of it. She passed away and her family couldn't find the manuals that came with the car. The tail lights stopped working and replacing the bulbs did not fix the problem. The dash also shows "lights" on it. I know nothing about cars so I went to the auto parts store and looked at a manual and it looked confusing. I went accross the street to another auto parts store that sold a different manual made by Chilton and still don't understand how all of the lights work. I found the little fuse box in the car by the brake pedal and the fuses look fine. I looked at the wires, plugs, and all the stuff leading to the tail lights in the trunk. I have spent hours on line tonight trying to read about tail lights online and still do not know what I should be checking. I would really appreciate any advice!!! Thanks
Some are just told to be a seller. That's all no more, no lessand that's kinda ironic & dumb.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Cindyv11

Some are just told to be a seller. That's all no more, no less and that's kinda ironic & dumb.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 AM

hey guys I have an 89 Camry that had a bad light sensor in the rear I have bypassed it for the most part except when I hit my breaks the trunk and 3rd breaklights come on but the body mounted lights go off otherwise driving around my taillights all work, although they do stay on all the time(not a problem for me). Oh except for that 3rd light it only acts when braked

Old 01-05-2018, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

How did you bypass the sensor? What wires did you cut to the sensor and what did you slice together?

Old 01-06-2018, 01:10 PM

I had all sorts of problems with my tail lights and even when I checked the ground it was good. I found out the connection was very rusty hard to see, replaced it and added dilectric grease. All good.

2003 suburban. These grounds depending on where they are get chewed up by salt, well after 14 years.