General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Question Timing Belt Question

I just recently bought a 1999 Toyota Solara with 105,000 miles. The previous owner wasn't sure if the owner before him had the timing belt changed (I'm the third owner), so I took it to a shop and had a mechanic look at it. Sure enough, it's still the original belt!

Suspecting that the mechanic would say that anyway (even if it was replaced and didn't need a new one) for the sake of making extra money, I asked him if I could look at it myself. He had pointed out to me that the bolts around that area looked old and show no evidence of being loosened and re-tightened recently. Plus there's no markings on the belt to indicate an after-market manufacturer or anything.

All well and good, however the belt DOES appear to be in GREAT shape. It's not like it's dry, worn and/or cracking or anything; it's actually very shiny on the outside. Plus I reached underneath as best as I could to feel the grooves and they too appear to be in good shape.

My question is: Does this necessarily mean anything? Should I heed the mechanic's advice and bite the bullet, putting in $650 to get it replaced? (this price also includes a new water pump). Or is he just trying to rip me off?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 06-11-2010, 12:45 PM

It sounds like it could be the original belt, im a mechanic as well and if the belt is shiny that also shows a worn belt. If there are no signs of it being changed honestly I would get it done. I dont remember if those motor are interference or not, but if it is the last thing you want is your belt to slip or break and then bend all your valves and have to do a motor rebuild. That price sounds fair and to me would almost be worth the peace of mind. Hope this helps.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:22 PM

That is ALL I needed to hear blackey777, thank you so VERY much! I'm going to call the shop right now and schedule an apointment. Looking for this Wedenesday (as they need time to get the right parts), in the meantime I have to drive about another 100 miles (maybe less) until that day...I should be fine for that many more miles, right? Of course I know that is something that HAS to be done, no question about it, but I'm NOT planning on doing any more driving than I really have to until I get it replaced.

Thanks again!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 PM

you should be fine for that amount of time, its just one of those things you do want to do when its needed because it is something people tend to forget about and can cause you major problems.