General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the 1996 Camry is this correct VSV lovation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Exclamation

I'll go ahead and add this !!PLEASE CORRECT IF WRONG!! I tested the VSV for my 1996 V6 Camry first with NO POWER I attached a vacuum hose on entrance and exit...I held exit hose in a cup of water and blew air thru the entrance and air made bubbles in water...I performed same task this time holding entrance vacuum hose in water and blew thru exit vacuum hose and bubbles once again...then to make sure IF it had to be powered to force VSV to close it's valve I attached VSV to it's engine harness connector meaning it has power once I turned key to before turning on engine position...re-performed steps above in same manner and still bubbles appeared in water..so my conclusion unless proven wrong is my VSV is not working so next is to get a replacement VSV and hope that was the issue.

P.S. I USED A VOLT METER ON HARNESS VSV CONNECTOR TO BE SURE IT HAD DC VOLTAGE ONCE I TURNED KEY TO PRIOR TO TURNING ENGINE ON POSITION.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Is the VSV you refer to shown in the photo of your other post? Part Number 90910-12074.

Does the part have two small vacuum hoses connected to it?

Does one hose go to what looks like a can on the EGR valve (the EGR having 1 vacuum hose attached). The other hose going to what also looks like a can type item that is located next to the EGR valve (this can has 2 vacuum hoses attached).

If so:

The ohm reading should be 33-39. This is with the electrical plug to the part removed.

There should be no continuity between the valve case (part that is steel) and either of the electrical terminals on part plug.

When the valve is NOT powered, air should flow between the port (tube) nearest the round barrel on one end of the valve (let's call it Port A), and the port at the other end of the valve (Port B). Thus Port A is connected to Port B.

When the valve IS powered by 12v DC. Air should flow between Port A and the round barrel (let's call it Port C). The round barrel is actually another port but it vents or is open to atmosphere. The round barrel is a screen/filter to keep debris out of the valve and hoses.

When the valve is powered, Port A is no longer connected to Port B. Port A is now connected to Port C, which is vented to the atmosphere. Air should NOT be flowing between Port A and Port B, but from Port A to Port C.

Check airflow between all the ports as stated above.

When the VSV is powered, the EGR system is off.

If the valve has 3 hoses attached to it, post back.

Last edited by toyomoho; 09-07-2010 at 12:49 PM.