General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Camry rear taillights out

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 01:24 PM
Default 1996 Camry rear taillights out

I got a warning

Les Schwab emploee stepping on my brake

Warning light

Warning light description

Warning light description zoomed in
light come on a few days ago for rear tail light. It comes on intermittently. I went to Lube It USA. They topped off all my fluids. I asked if the brake fluid is good, and he said "the level is right where it should be". I turned on my headlights, and stepped on my brake and he said "they all look good to me, except the one on your spoiler". That's no biggie, that spoiler was an add-on. I don't think that light ever worked.
I decided to go to Les Schwab because they deal with tires and brakes. He told me two are out, but not the main ones. I didn't know what he meant, so I asked him to step on my brake and I took a photo. Sure enough, the inner lights do not come on. I have so many lights in the rear of my car. I took photo of the back of my car. Can you show me a photo with all lights that should be on when I step on my brake, and one that shows what lights come on when my headlights are on?
This is interesting. After I left Lube-it (after they topped off my fluids), the warning light on my dash never came on while I drove to Les Schwab. Maybe they are fuses?

Old 03-19-2023, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

The brake lights are the red chassis mounted lights plus spoiler. The red lens on the trunk lid are reflective only. The chassis mounted lights are also the rear taillights. The brake and tail light bulbs share a common two filament bulb.

The dash warning icon can come on for host reasons one being a burned out tail light or brake light bulb. The spoiler bulb is NOT monitored by the warming icon system.

The warning icon system will also come on if there is corrosion on the bulb sockets or a working bulb has too much electrical resistance. Changing all the bulbs and cleaning the socket contact areas can solve the issue. The warning light system can also fail on its own. Its a box in the trunk that the brake and taillight wiring are connected to.

If the brake and tail lights work and one can't find the cause of the warning one can keep driving safely.