General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Toyota Camry Intermittant Engine Start Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Default 1998 Toyota Camry Intermittant Engine Start Problems

Hello! I am the proud owner of a 1998 Toyota Camry V6. Recently I've been having problems with the vehicle having a couple of different issues when starting the car.

1. Sometimes I start the car and it runs fine.
2. Sometimes I have to crank the car several times before it will run.
3. Sometimes I crank, the car starts, and then the engine dies. (a check engine light comes on when this occurs)

These three issues happen in random order, sometimes one right after the other. Also this can happen right after the car is run and/or if it hasn't been run in days.

I've had the battery replaced due to it going bad and causing my relays on the car to discharge overnight.

Autozone ruled out the Alternator/Starter and Battery itself. I've also had the fuel injector filter and ignition tumbler lock replaced, though I haven't had the gas tank itself inspected.

Once the car finally starts it runs fine, no check engine lights, no stalling mid route, and no unusually high or odd idling/gear shifting.

My guesses are

1. The ignition coil
2. The Fuel Pump
3. ?

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing the issue, and could it be a wiring/grounding problem on the battery that prehaps wouldn't show on an Autozone reader? There is a side problem of a loud screeching noise coming from the AC belt when I have the ac on that goes away about 30 seconds later or if I immediatly turn the AC off but I doubt that is the problem.

If anyone knows of a solution or a similar problem and the fix for it, please let me know. Thanks!

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Default Similar issue with my 1998 Camry

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I have a 1998, Camry XLE, V6 Engine. When I start the car, it will often stall. If I have to back up to get out of a parking spot the stalling is often a little worse but it happens even if I am starting and then moving forward. Once I get the car going and moving, I don't have the stalling problem.

Did you find out anything useful?

David

Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM

No, however I was informed of three possible causes.

1. The fuel pump puts too much fuel into the engine when it first starts or not enough.

2. Air intake is not sufficient when the car first starts.

3. The Security System on the car may be broken, despite the computer saying that nothing is wrong. allowing the regular key to start it but partially blocking the flow of gas to the engine when it first starts.

It got progressivly worse until now the car has a sharp burning smell and idles really low, shaking the engine and unless I drive the car over 40MPH, it can suddenly partially stall and start burning whatever it is again whenever I try to acellerate or keep it at a moderate speed.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

The check light comes on but there are no codes stored or pending? Pending codes are those the computer has flagged as failed a self test a least once but not enough times to set the check light.

Does the car have a security system? Is there a red light on the dash the blinks? Toyota systems will let the engine crank over but not start.

A burning smell is not normal.

First area to check for burning smell is the AC belt. If belt is squealing it is too loose, has glazed over from slipping over the pulley to much or the AC compressor is locking up. If slipping it can make a burning smell. Check belt tension.

If the belt is not the source of the smell locate the source before moving onto other issues.

Might be an ign coil going bad. A burning coil would be unusual but also check this area for odor.