General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 V6 Help identify Oil Leak Passenger Side

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Question 1998 V6 Help identify Oil Leak Passenger Side

I have a 1998 V6 Camry about 82,000 Miles on it. I store it every winter. I started it up about 2 weeks ago and let it run for about 10min. Yesterday I pulled it out of my garage and noticed a small amount of oil on the ground. I'm not sure what part its leaking for. Can anyone identify what this part is where it looks like the oil is coming from. I drove the car yesterday, it was parked for about 5 hours but I didn't see anymore oil dripping out.

I'm attaching a photo taken from the underside. A pulley is attached to the part that looks like it is leaking. Is this the Power Steering? If so, where do leaks often come from? I hope this is an easy fix.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails 1998 V6 Help identify Oil Leak Passenger Side-98camry_oilleak.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, power steering pump.

The power steering system uses pressured fluid (the leaking fluid) to operate. The system is only under pressure when the engine is running and pump pulley is rotating. Need to check for leaks when engine is running. Make sure the car is secure, in Park, emergency brake on, etc.

The pulley is connected to a shaft coming out of the pump housing. The housing has an oil seal around the shaft to keep fluid from leaking out. Check for leakage were the shaft enters the housing. From your statement this appears to be the leakage area. If so the seal needs to replaced. The pump needs to be removed, them pulley to replace the seal. Many owners just replace the pump, but if you are handy with tools replacing the seal is cheaper.

Check the hose fittings where they attach to the pump for leakage. M

Make sure the leaking fluid is not coming from someplace above the pump, then leaking on to it.

Power steering fluid is red and has its own smell.

Given it could be power steering fluid, you don't want to run out. Find the power steering reservoir accessible from the engine compartment. Location on passengers side of inner fender, rear of the coolant reservoir. Has a rotating cap with dipstick. Make sure the fluid level is OK and if needed add fluid. The cap will have the type of fluid used. Until the leak is fixed, keep close tabs on the fluid level and top off as required.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:29 AM

Ok, thank you for you reply. I will try to clean that entire area then start the car and see if I can locate the problem area. Hopefully it's something easier then replacing the oil seal. I have done seals before on my 1993 for the crankshaft and camshaft. They are a pain to get out!

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Yes, power steering pump.

The power steering system uses pressured fluid (the leaking fluid) to operate. The system is only under pressure when the engine is running and pump pulley is rotating. Need to check for leaks when engine is running. Make sure the car is secure, in Park, emergency brake on, etc.

The pulley is connected to a shaft coming out of the pump housing. The housing has an oil seal around the shaft to keep fluid from leaking out. Check for leakage were the shaft enters the housing. From your statement this appears to be the leakage area. If so the seal needs to replaced. The pump needs to be removed, them pulley to replace the seal. Many owners just replace the pump, but if you are handy with tools replacing the seal is cheaper.

Check the hose fittings where they attach to the pump for leakage. M

Make sure the leaking fluid is not coming from someplace above the pump, then leaking on to it.

Power steering fluid is red and has its own smell.

Given it could be power steering fluid, you don't want to run out. Find the power steering reservoir accessible from the engine compartment. Location on passengers side of inner fender, rear of the coolant reservoir. Has a rotating cap with dipstick. Make sure the fluid level is OK and if needed add fluid. The cap will have the type of fluid used. Until the leak is fixed, keep close tabs on the fluid level and top off as required.