General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Camry Power Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 04:02 PM
Default 2000 Camry Power Window Problem

Having trouble with my power windows.
I recently bought the car. All power windows worked.
The car was filthy on the interior so I got it detailed. They had to shampoo/steam it several times to get out the accumulated grunge.
When I picked it up from the detailer the passenger front and pack windows did not work. The drivers side front and back did work.
The car was still damp on the inside so I left the doors open in the sun for a few days.
I took the car to run some errands. Now only driver side rear window worked.
When I got home I started switching the different windows randomly. Suddenly the passenger side window began to work. It went down and would not go back up. I popped the switches out of the front passenger door and looked it over. Clean, dry, no corrosion.
It started to rain so I covered the open window and quit for the day.
How should I begin trouble shooting this?
Because 3 of the 4 windows behave erratically I figure it might be somewhere common to all 4.
Is the "Master Control" in the drivers door the probable cause?
Advice appreciated.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Do the individual door window switches at each window work?

The master switch is the master control.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:44 PM

The individual switch for the passenger front door does not work. The individual switch for the passenger back door does not work. I do not know about the driver side back door. The only drivers door switch that works is the drivers side passenger door.

All these switches worked when I bought the car.

A separate question: I want the close the passenger door window that is stuck open to keep the rain out until I get this figured out. I saw a youtube video that showed how to use a paperclip to power up the window but it did not saw exactly which wires to connect.. I could power up the window with a 12 volt battery if I was sure which wires to use.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-28-2022, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

I recently replied to another question about power windows and explained the wiring layout. Your wiring is the same. Do a search of posts under my handle for the last week to find it. The individual switch should have two solid color wires red and green which go to the motor. Reversing polarity changing motor rotational direction. There is a purple wire at the switch which should be hot when the ign key allows window operation.

Read the info on the past post as the window wiring is not obvious as the chassis is NOT used as a ground return for the motor.

Suspect its the master switch as this is wired to all windows AND is involved with all window operation even when using the individual switches.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:44 AM

The window is now up. Used paperclips to jumper power to the red and green wires.
Don't have time to chase problems today so I will take this as a minor victory.
Thanks for your help.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:39 PM

I am shopping for a new driver door master switch. I find them for sale for between $30 and $400. Any recommendations?
Thanks

Old 08-29-2022, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Ebay or auto salvage yard.

Old 09-04-2022, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Joey, its your best bet

Old 09-04-2022, 07:11 AM

Thanks Guys,
I ordered a new master switch on ebay. Installed it a couple day ago.
Both front windows now operate properly.
The driver side rear window acts strange. It goes down. When it goes up it comes up a few inches and stops. If I wait a few minutes and try again it will go a few more inches. It takes about 3 tries to get it all the way up. I am thinking the motor.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

The motor may have a device that turns it off if the current draw is too great. Make sure the window can move freely. Spray silicone on the window track.