General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 LE inst cluster in a 2000CE ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Default 2000 LE inst cluster in a 2000CE ?

My 2000 CE automatic does not have the transmission shift lights in the instrument cluster like the LE model. Has anyone here installed a cluster from a LE into a CE to gain the shifter light feature? I guess the real question is if the wiring in the cluster harness is the same between a CE and LE ? Anyway has anyone attempted to do this upgrade and did it work. My car is a US built 2000 Camry CE,auto built in 8/99

Thanks,
Bibb in San Antonio

Old 06-21-2017, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

The LE wiring will also have a wide electrical plug that goes to a Park/Neutral/Gear Selector switch on the trans shift arm shaft.

If no plug having the extra pins for the gear selector switch would assume no wiring for the cluster lights.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:35 AM

Hi there Joey and thanks for the quick reply. So are you saying that its likely the CE does not have the pins/wires in the connector for that shifter switch to send power to light the shift indicators in a LE cluster ?

I need to replace an intermittent light in the floor shifter so I guess I could look for it then. Do you know where I can find a PDF factory electrical schematic so I can at least know what color wires to look for in that connector ?

I don't have a subscription to Toyota TECH. I have a set of the Factory Service Manuals and it's amazing how little detail it has on the shifters for the automatics other than the shift lock circuit. The manuals also don't show differences between equipment used in CE/LE/XLE models. Crazy considering what these books cost.

I really appreciate any info you can pass my way.

Thanks,
Bibb in San Antonio

Old 06-22-2017, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

The switch is located on the transmission. Follow the trans shift cable in the engine compartment to the shift arm. The switch is located on the shaft arm shaft coming out of the trans.

The data I have shows only one wiring diagram.

The wires for the indicator lights might be yel, blue/white, red/black, red, black/red, green/white, red/blue.

You could remove the CE console and check the wiring. Determine if there is an unused plug.

Toyota TECH does have a two day subscription.

PDF files are hit and miss. Some are here then gone.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:45 PM

Thanks for clarifying that the switch I'm looking for is actually on the trans. I didn't catch that in your first reply.I thought you were talking about the shifter in the car. I will check it out and reply back with what I have found. Thanks for passing me the wiring color info. My factory book shows the "Combination Meter Circuit" but no wire colors. Shows to be connector "A" pins 6-11 in back of cluster. If all the correct wires are indeed there, I will swap my speedo module into a LE cluster. These instrument clusters are a dime a dozen at salvage yards here. I will let you know if I'm successful doing this and make some photos. Maybe someone else might be interested in this little mod.

You seem to be very knowledgeable about these cars. Is there a dome light /map light combination that fits the spot in the headliner where the garage door opener compartment is on a non sunroof 1997-2001 Camry ? The owners manual indicates that a map light was available in non sunroof cars but I have yet to see one in a salvage car. I didn't see any wiring in there last time I had that thing out either.

Thanks,
Bibb in San Antonio

Old 06-23-2017, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

The manual shows a map light between the visors and room light on the ceiling behind the sunroof (if equipped).

Old 06-24-2017, 11:13 PM

Ok, today I swapped out the instrument cluster in my 2000 Camry CE automatic with an instrument cluster from a 2000 Camry LE automatic. My goal was to gain the transmission gear position indicator lights in the cluster that are absent in the cheaper CE model cluster. Turns out this little mod is an absolute plug and play and worked perfectly. The wiring to the cluster and to the transmission gear position switch in the CE and LE are identical. To keep the odometer reading correct for my car, I did swap my old speedometer module into the LE cluster. That took all of about 10 minutes but other than that, it's plug and play.

Now my 16 year old son won't be confused about what gear he's in ! New driver.

Joey, thanks for your help.

Bibb in San Antonio

Old 06-25-2017, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Great job!

Thanks for posting back with the successful upgrade.