General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Camry Tire Blow Out Electronics

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Default 2001 Camry Tire Blow Out Electronics

This is pretty ODD MY girl friends 2001 Camry Had the front passenger tire blow out, when this happend it ripped apart the plastic that goes in the inner tire wheel well.
The Tire ripped apart about 6 of the wires in the wire harness that run through there.

I have used electrical tape to put the wires back together, the car will not start it rolls over but will not crank, I've checked all fuses and can't seem to figure out whats going on!

If anyone has any ideas whats so ever please let me know, thank you.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Default RE: 2001 Camry Tire Blow Out Electronics

Hard to tell you what damage was done but first thing I would do is check the dash and see if the check engine light comes on when you first turn the key to on. You can't just twist and tape wire. Solder and heat shrink is preferred but butt connectors can be used but future headaches can occur latter. Check all fuses and that includes the one by the right fender.
If all ok take your test light and check for power at the coil, o2 sensors ics ect.....
A wiring diagram is of value so a shops experience might be in order. Good luck [align=left] [/align]

Old 04-06-2007, 12:07 AM

first off the check engine light is always going to be on while your key is on with the engine off. Well in just about all cars anyway. Definately in your camry so that isn't going to help you at all. I'm an autotech and this is where I would start.

Wires dont break easy. The pressure put on them to cause them to break could verry well have caused them to disconnect from one or more of their terminal connections. I can't remember for sure but I believe the engine is on the passenger side in that vehicle and right around where the tire is is probably where the wiring for the crank position sensor would be. That will be a sensor that should have wires leading to and from just behind the crank pulley (bottom most pulley on the front of the engine) If any of those wires became disconnected somewhere else then the vehicle will definatley not fire. It is also possible that when the wires were pulled real hard to break them, the sensor itself could have been damaged. The sensor is about as delicate as the wiring.

As far as the soldering, heatshrinking goes. he was right about that being the propper way to do that repair but only for longevity reasons. repairing it even with wire caps should get it going if you got all the wires and damaged connections taken care of.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:06 PM

First off turbo the reason why I asked about the check engine light was to make sure the ecu is getting power.
Allso just to clear things things up, from the damage at the fenderwell you can't disconnect the crank sensor as you discribed. I suppose it would be possible if there were a pound of C4 tucked up under the fender.
[bsdpro] Please don't use wire caps, the only place you should use them is in your house electrical. But connectors can be used.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 AM

I dont believe that at all. The wiring for the sensor is really close to the tire. Whatever made the tire blow or the tire blowing itself can have a lot of force and I know for a fact its enough to damage those wires. The guy even said it ripped out wires and his inner fender. I don't even know why you'd go off about the c4 if he said himself that it was powerful enough to damage them.

I hear ya about the check eng. light but I'm sure that guy thought what I thought that you were insinuating a problem if it was on. By not clearifying that it being on at key on engine off is good/normal it probably caused him to panic more.

As far as the wirecaps I was speaking in exageration meaning that repairing it without performance/longevity in mind won't make it not start. It just won't start problem free for very long.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:45 AM

If the drive belts were destroyed in the process then maybe and that is a very distant maybe would be involved. Seems to me you don't have a clue as to what the **** you are talking about.
You come here saying so and so is right, wtf
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-15-2007, 11:06 AM

The "so" your talking about isn't a definate solution. I merely told him a possibility of something he could have taken out thats in that area. Just gave an avenue to look down. If you really think the drive belts aren't tough enough to withstand something that could damage something as delicate like a sensor then I'm sorry your that stupid but I never said I was right about it definately being the sensor I've just stood my ground in saying that it IS a possibility.

All any of us that are trying to help are doing is making a guess without looking at the vehicle which sometimes can be very helpful but with collision type damage like this would fall under, it's almost impossible but to shoot down one persons ideas cause your just stupid is just more stupid. to do it to try and make yourself feel or look better about being a dumbass is even more retarted. but carry on with your "beliefs" I'm sure someone out there will buy into them sometime.