General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

blow head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:19 AM
Default blow head gasket

I had a blown head gasket on my 1996 toyota camry (3vz-fe) v6.
had them replaced and the headsserviced.
replaced the timing belt and a few other things.
once it was all back on started it up.
it ran like a new one for a few mins, but then steem started coming out the tail pipe, I had a look at the dip stick again.
there is water in the oil again.......

Please Please can somebody help me. what is going on? is the head gasket gone again in such a short time????

Old 12-17-2008, 05:52 AM
Default RE: blow head gasket

DIY or shop did the work? Both HGs blew? Usually incorrect torquing. I have heard of stripped head bolts on Toyotas, not sure if it applies to your year. If heads were shaved to achieve flatness then head bolts may be too long and could have bottomed out.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:07 AM

DIY, got told to service both heads being v6 don't know if they wrere both warped.
what is the right torque settings i did 25lb/ft + 2x90*
how can i know if the bolts are to long and where do i get shorter ones from?

Old 12-17-2008, 08:40 AM

My reference saysyourtorque specs are right, but it also says "recessed bolts - 156lb". Because the torque procedure is partly torque and partly bolt turns I'd say the initial 25ft/lb is very critical to get you to a starting point. If there was bolt/head thread resistance then that initial torque may be off as it is not very high to overcome friction resistance. Did you clean out block threads (oil/coolant/trash) and use a little oil on head bolts?Head/block surface also needs to be very clean. On my head jobs I chase theblock threads with bottom tap to clean out threads completely.You'll need to ask shop if they shaved head and by how much. I don't have the shave limit.Warpage limit is .0039in. Head bolts can also stretch. You'd have to measure the height of the head at the bolt hole points and depth measure the block threads, then measure the bolt length allowing for HG thickness. You can grind off tips of head bolts if you need a little clearance. Using new head bolts is not a bad idea. You can use OEM or arp: http://www.arp-bolts.com/. ARP might be able to provide shorter bolts. I would get a new Toyo OEM bolt and measure it against your bolts. Use a vernier not a tape measure. One other thing is if your engine is interference and you installed the head with the cam in position you may have impinged a valve on a piston if the cam and pistons were not in the correct position and that could have prevented proper head to block seating.