General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Camry Help!!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Default 2002 Camry Help!!

My father inlaw has a 2002 4cyl Camry. He's always kept up on all maintence,oil changes,tunes ups,etc.
While driving to my house the car shut off and coasted to a stop. When you try to start the car it will just make a click sound. The car will not even turn over. Almost like a dead battery click but it is just one click per key turn..Initally I tried to jump the car thinking his alt went bad and killed the battery but I've gone over the car..The battery is good, Altenater is also fine. I pulled the Belt off to see if any of the pullies were siezed and holding the motor from turning over and all the pullies are also good free spining. Is there something I'm overlooking? I also took the starter off and checked that and it seems to be working properly. All fuses under the hood are also good. My father in law is worried he may need an engine. I sure hope not.. Please someone HELP!
Im hoping this may have happened to someone else or Im just over looking something. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Doubt if the engine seized up unless run out of oil, is there oil?

Possible the alt could have failed in a strange way to kill the battery but typically if it failed the alt indicator light would be on when driving.

Do any of the cars lights work, head lights, interior, dash, etc? If so, these items are getting battery power. If not there is a bad connection between the battery and the fuses boxes/relays.

When you turn the ign key to ON do the dash indicator lights come on? If so do they dim when you turn the ign key to START. If so this is typically an indication of a bad battery cable connection. This typically results in a click when starting and dimmed dash lights.

If you have battery cables might jump between the battery and start motor in an attempt to get the engine to turn over. If it turns over normally the engine is OK. Then suggest you look for a wiring or fuse problem. The starter motor solenoid should be connected directly to the battery (no fuses in-between).

One other issue is the car may have an immobilizer theft system, check the owners manual. If so and the system is on, when the battery is disconnected it may engage. The engine may turn over but not start.