General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Help, 2002 Camry - intermittent no start

Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Default Help, 2002 Camry - intermittent no start

Actually, it starts occasionally and runs well. The problem is intermittent. ( and always frustrating) (6 cylinder)

However, when it does not start, we have no spark, no FI noids.
There is no check engine light or codes.
We do have fuel pressure to the distribution manifolds.
Pulled the computer and had it rebuilt, problem still exists.

Possibly anti-theft system problem/short?
Key / ignition switch code problems?

Does anybody have other ideas?
Is there a way to check the anti-theft system or by-pass the system?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by RCountry7; 11-11-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Does this car have something called the Immobilizer and a transponder equipped ign key?

And if so, is there a light on the dash that is flashing when you try to start the engine?

Have you tried another key when this problem happens?

Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 PM

We were using an aftermarket key til this AM. We tryed the original toyota key and the car started. Time will tell if this is the original problem and fix. Heading to the shop shortly.

How do I know if it has an immobilizer?

It does have a computer chip key. Are they affected by magnets?

Will check for the flashing light on the dash during start this afternoon.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:11 AM

Hey Joey,

We have 3 keys, the original toyota key, the valet key and an aftermarket key. I went to the shop this am and noted the security light flashing. Upon inserting the original key, the light went out and the car started. I did the same with the other keys with the same result. Overall, changing keys and re-start sequence the car started normally 5 times.

the sixth time the security light kept flashing when I inserted the original key, the car would not start. Same result with all keys.

We called toyota and the immobilizer is incorporated in the ECM. Our only hesitancy is the intermittent nature of the problem. You would think that if the immobilizer went bad... it would stay bad.

Do you have any idea what might be the root cause of the intermittentency?

Ps. the car was not driven thus no vibration other than the start and when previously driven there was no dying that would indicate an intermittent short.

Scratching my head, Thanks, Rich

Old 11-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Greetings Rich:

If the car has a security light it has the immobilizer.

The light should go out as soon as it recognizes that the right ign key has been inserted into the lock. I state recognizes because as you have found the right can be inserted into the lock but the immobilizer not recognize it.

There is an electrical device placed next to the ign key switch that interrogates the transponder equipped ign key. The key when interrogated will pulse back with a code. The computer has been programmed to recognize the code, and the codes of the other keys you have.

The key is a passive electronic device, no batteries. I doubt normal magnets would effect it.

When the no start event happens. If the ign key is on a key ring with other keys or other items, I suggest you remove the ign key ring and reinsert. If the light now goes out, the engine should start.

Issue that can cause problems with this system are other keys on the key ring, other transponder equipped keys, pass keys such as those that open electronic doors, those that you wand or touch to something to purchase gas or use at say a mini-mart to purchase goods via electronic payment. All these items can result in confusing signals being sent out or the right signal not be recognized.

A few other issues.

Don't leave the ign key in the lock when out of the car for long periods of time, this can cause the battery to drain.

The ign key system has two parts to it. The first is the normal grooved key part, this part unlocks the steering column. The second part is the transponder that enables the ign and fuel injector system via the computer.

If the main engine computer is the one checking for the right key (later model cars had a separate computer for this), I strongly suggest you get another Master key made.

To make duplicate keys requires inserting the Master key into the ign first, once the computer recognizes this key, the key duplicate key is inserted.

This car most likely came with a couple of Master keys, and a Valet key. If you lose all the Master keys, it will not be possible to reprogram additional keys. This can require replacing the computer, an expensive proposition.

Suggest you have someone make a duplicate Master key (perhaps the dealer), then keep it in a safe place. It is very cheap insurance.

I don't know about other makes and models of cars, but if you have cars with this type of transponder key I suggest you research what issues there would be if you lost the Master key.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:20 PM

My 2002 does not have a security light. The key is a little worn and can slip out if pulled.
My car is a little hard to start and gets harder as the day goes by and more starts.
Cranks but does not seem to fire.
Thoughts?
4 cups