General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Camry AC problems?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Default 2003 Camry AC problems?

Need some help with my 03 Camry 4 cyl. A/C green light was flashing. Coolant level was very low and after topping up and driving for a while A/C worked fine. Today when I got home after running the air conditioning on high all day when I got home I noticed liquid which I think was coolant dripping on the garage floor. When I checked underneath to see where it came from it seemed to be dripping off a small cigarette filter sized protrusion from under the front of the passengers floor. Anyone ever heard of this problem?

Old 07-04-2008, 05:41 AM
Default RE: 2003 Camry AC problems?

Could be the condensate drain from the A/C evaporator. If that's it then that's normal.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: buffitz

Coolant level was very low and after topping up and driving for a while A/C worked fine. Today when I got home after running the air conditioning on high all day when I got home I noticed liquid which I think was coolant dripping on the garage floor.
Have you been able to determine what the liquid is yet? Is it water? Is it coolant/antifreeze? Other?

Old 07-05-2008, 03:19 PM

Diver1972's correct for asking. If you taste the liquid and it's sweet then that's anti-freeze, if it just tastes like water then that's condensed water from the A/C system drain. I guess there's a possibility that your heater core could be leaking and coolant could flow into the evaporator drain pan and out the overflow tube.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Thanks for responding to my problem. I haven't resolved it yet. I did taste it and I remember telling my wife it tasted salty, not sweet, but definitely not like plain water. The next day she had to take the car to work so I asked her not to use the A/C on the way to workwhen it was cool in the morning, and to look if there was any liquid under the car when she got to work after her 25 min. drive. She forgot to look but on the way home when it was 32 degrees Celcius ( somewhere in the upper 80's) she went without it for about 15 min and checked and there was no liquid. then she turned on the A/C for the last 10 min and there was nothing. We didn't get a chance to use the car today and probably won't till Monday so can't tell you any more till then.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: buffitz

I did taste it and I remember telling my wife it tasted salty, not sweet, but definitely not like plain water.
Saltyis not A/F. The evap. drain panaccumulates all sorts of gunk so the"salty" is just the "seasoning" of grunge. By the way DON'T SWALLOW!

There may be an A/C interlock switch tied to the engine coolant temp switch. If the engine gets too hot the A/C may cut out automatically to reduce engineheat.Right now I'd doubt the A/C system on an 03 as the systems usually go a long time beforeanything fails. I'd continue to look for a coolant leak.