General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Camry buning EFI fuse

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 06:33 PM
Red face 2003 Camry buning EFI fuse

Good Day All,

First of all thank you all for your time and assistance.

My daughter was driving down the highway when her 2003 Camry, 4 Cyl, stalled. Looking over the vehicle i noticed the following items:

-The EFI (20 Amp) fuse blows when I set the vehicle to on (no cranking)
-The car cranks but does not come on. Sounds like lack of fuel.
-Poured two gallons of fuel and the fuel needle moved.

These are the only things I was able to notice for now due to me having to take her to school and go to work. Was hoping you guys can give me some initial steps to begin testing and maybe answer the following:

-Could a clogged fuel filter cause this?
-She said she noticed a loose cable dragging. When I asked from where she pointed to the O2 sensor in the bottom of the car. (why she did not tell me I don't know ). When I looked the wire was missing. Maybe the remains of the cable grounded to something? Can this cause it?

Thank you so much for the help!!!

Old 11-28-2016, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Try to determine the color of the loose wire. Typically grounds for engine control wiring are small dia solid brown. Start here to determine if the loose wire is not a ground but a powered wired which is shorting. Or there is damage to the location it was connected.

The EFI fuse powers many items which are interconnected with the cars transmission, engine, cruise control and security computer(s).

The fuse powers an EFI relay which powers via another relay the fuel pump. If the EFI fuse blows the engine/trans computer and fuel pump will not have power. The engine will not start. There is also a pressure solenoid on this circuit

Find the EFI fuse in an engine compartment fuse box and remove it. Determine what happens with a new fuse. If it still blows then the problem is elsewhere.

The fuse powers the cruise control via the engine computer. Make sure the CC is off.

Powers the transmission shift solenoids shift gear indicator on the dash (if auto trans). Look around the trans housing and where the shift cable connects to the trans for loose wires.

Powers the engine immobiliser system.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:48 PM

Ok great! Thank you. Will do some checks and come back on here to post the results. Thanks for the quick reply.