General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 Camy LE Caught Fire Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:06 PM
Exclamation 2007 Camy LE Caught Fire Today

Hi Guys,

So my mother calls me today and says that all of her cluster lights lit up, the car died and a puff of white smoke blew out of the front of the engine compartment. She shut it off immediately and parked.

When I got out there, the battery was ajar, the top backet was melted along with the top of the threaded j-hook that tensions the battey hold down components. The positive battery wire was also scorched through the loom, the wire jacket and halfway into the copper. It was arcing electricity between the j-hook and cable sporadically and when I tried to move it; along with smoking.

As the top plate on the battery was charged it harrowing to move. Got it out of the way, removed the melted mounting hardware and used zip ties to secure the battery. Also bought fire retardant loom and wrapped the exposed wire.

Drove it to the Dealership and called toyota corporate with photos. They opened an investigation. Also called NHTSA and made a report. The wire seems to be positioned too close to the j-hook and wore through until it conducted and started a fire/melted. Design flaw possibly.

No recalls existing. NHTSA asked me to investigate whether others have experienced anything similar. Anyone else ever have this happen? Any input is greatly appreciated. Here are the pics. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Camy LE Caught Fire Today-0824161131c.jpg   2007 Camy LE Caught Fire Today-0824161131e.jpg  
Old 08-24-2016, 11:24 PM

not something i would like to have happen to me

something came loose
check the bonnet above the battery for rubbing or arcing

is the correct car battery fitted

would say the damage to the battery metal holding bracket was the arc

Last edited by dirty hands; 08-24-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:56 PM

Hi dirty hands,

It was certainly an unenjoyable experience. The correct replacement battery is fitted, though not OEM. The hardware was attached and tightened properly. Not sure yet what exactly happened; though I have suspicions.

The car ran very rough after my emergency repair fo about 10 seconds. The engine shook quite violently in the engine compartment. It then smoothed out, though still wasn't running 100%. No check engine light was on before this happened or anything else wrong other than the brake pads being worn, the MAF & Throttle Body needing to be cleaned and coming up on it's next oil change. All oil changes have been done at the dealership on schedule. Car has 62,xxx miles.

No lights on while driving to the dealership either. It really does look like the bracket melted after being electrified. Even if the battey had been loose, the j-hook is fixed and wasn't loose. It's between the battery and positive cable as a shield against force. This is strange...