General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 A/C Vent design?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Default 2012 A/C Vent design?

I bought my 2012 Camry in December and have noticed that the outer air vents on the dash (the big ones beside the doors) are always blowing air regardless of the setting of the system. If I have the air set to blow from the floor or defrost the air blows from where it is supposed to but also blows from these 2 dash vents, the center vents on the dash close like they should when not selected. I'm not talking about a little bit of air that may be getting around the system, it is a full flow of air. It's like these two vents are always open with no way to close them. I have had it in for service and had them check this and they told me that it is the way the system is designed. I find it hard to believe that Toyota would design it this way. Is this normal for all 2012 Camry's?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by carolinatim
I bought my 2012 Camry in December and have noticed that the outer air vents on the dash (the big ones beside the doors) are always blowing air regardless of the setting of the system. If I have the air set to blow from the floor or defrost the air blows from where it is supposed to but also blows from these 2 dash vents, the center vents on the dash close like they should when not selected. I'm not talking about a little bit of air that may be getting around the system, it is a full flow of air. It's like these two vents are always open with no way to close them. I have had it in for service and had them check this and they told me that it is the way the system is designed. I find it hard to believe that Toyota would design it this way. Is this normal for all 2012 Camry's?
Not sure if this is the way it works. I just bought a 2011 Camry and it works exactly as you described. I doubt they are both broke though. It does seem like a weird design if this is normal. I am still researching this I will let you know what I find out.

BTW I just noticed what looks like your post on Toyotanation they all answered that it the way Toyota is designed and they always have been. Only answer is to turn off the vents otherwise a bit of air will always be present. One poster even quoted from the Toyota manual which said that was the way it was supposed to work. My manual was of a different year so the page numbers from him were not the same as mine. But since they all think that I guess I will stop trying to fix it.

Last edited by zepherz; 03-12-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 PM

its normal you just turn them off,and more air comes out of the other vents(Close the side vents