General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Camry Hybrid XLE: issues with starting and keeping it running

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Default 2015 Camry Hybrid XLE: issues with starting and keeping it running

Hi,

I'm a newbie and this is my first post. I hope I'm not violating forum rules by not doing an introductory post.

Nearly a month ago I purchased a 2015 Camry Hybrid XLE with 28000 miles. I know nothing about these, but it is a certified pre-owned car though a Toyota Dealership. The car hasn't been driven just a great deal since the purchase - less than 300 miles - and my wife has done the majority of the driving. No issues until yesterday 9/4/2016.

The salesman paired her Smartphone with the car the day we purchased it. However, there was an issue with the phone and we had to get it replaced two days ago. So, the NEW phone needed to be re-connected. She was unable to figure this out on Saturday while we were out in the car. I drove it approximately 70 miles that day, and everything was okay. I told her I'd hook up the phone later.

Yesterday, I drove the car to a fast food joint - while waiting for my order, I figured out how to pair my phone with it. It took me a couple of tries, pushing buttons, etc., but it paired. Upon arriving home, I told her how to do it, and she went out to try it. The car wouldn't start for her. I went out, tried to start it, but it would not start. The indicators on the dash, with which I'm unfamiliar, didn't seem to alert me to any obvious problem. I kept fooling with it. Finally, with my foot on the brake pedal, I pushed the start button and nothing happened for a few seconds, but my foot was still on the brake pedal. After maybe 8-10 seconds, the car started. I backed it out of the driveway, drove it around the block, without coming to a full stop. As I pulled to the top of my driveway and put my foot on the brake, the car died while still in Drive. I put it in park and tried to start it again. No start. Finally, after a while, it started and I circled the block again. Same deal, once in the driveway and my foot touched the brake, it died while still in Drive.

What's up, here? Have I changed the mode somehow without realizing it? This morning, I went back out, and noticed the buttons on the center console for the first time. I noticed that the ECO light was lit up on the instrument panel, so I hit the ECO button on the console and the indicator on the dashboard went away. I thought that this would put it back in Normal mode, so I circled the block, but once again, it died in the driveway once my foot hit the brake.

Who can give me a clue about why this is happening? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by John Koffy; 09-05-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:34 PM

start at a faulty start safety switch on brake the pedal
or it needs adjustment

this 2015 model might have one of those electronic pedals
if faulty are a throw away part

Old 09-06-2016, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by dirty hands
start at a faulty start safety switch on brake the pedal
or it needs adjustment

this 2015 model might have one of those electronic pedals
if faulty are a throw away part
As it turns out, there was no problem except operator error. I could not hear the sound of a starter motor when the electric engine starts, and the engine runs so silently, I did not think it was running.

The car is way more technologically advanced than its owner, I'm afraid.

Thanks for your response, dirty hands.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:16 PM

there'r many professor here