General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Camry 4cyl, having issues staying running

Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Default 94 Camry 4cyl, having issues staying running

Hello all,

I am working on my girlfriends 94 Camry 4 cyl.

Heres the break down...

She drove it about 20 miles from work, turned off the car. She got back into the car about 1 min later. As she pulled out of the drive way the car studdered and died. She tried to start it again and barly started. she put it in drive (AT) and it died again.

I towed her car home and started investigating....
I thought It might be the ERG, I pulled it out and tested it by pluging the top hole and the valve stayed open(up) so I cleaned it and reinstalled it with a new gasket.

2nd... I Cleaned the IAC with carb cleaner as people have mentioned from this great fourm.

This didnt seem to help. so I replaced the fuel filter thinking that it may be the culpert.

So this is where I am at this evening.

When cold it starts pretty easy ( with little hesitation) and responds pretty well. when you stab the gas quick and release it stumbles at 1000-2000 RPM. However it stumbles very little.

But when warm and at normal operating temp, it acts up much more. it stumbles at low RPM to about 2000. And when I say stumble, it is as if it wants to die (and does some of the time).

It is much harder to start when its warm.

I cant think of anthing I can add.

Please help my sanity by responding!!!!!

Thank YOU in advance...

Jeremy

Old 03-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Do you have a "check engine light" SOunds like the O2 sensor may be sending incorrect info.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Check the coolant temp sensor that goes to the engine computer.

Check fuel pressure regulator circuit.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:21 PM

J Sparrow,
There was no Check engine light... I did use a code reader and it was DTC-42 and 43(VSS Circut and Starter ssignal Circut, respectivly)

Both dont seem to be the cause... Really it may be a O2 sensor?

Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 PM

Toyomoho,
Can you walk me through steps to check both issues you mentioned?

Thanks

Old 03-05-2010, 01:23 PM

I was talking to a mechanic buddy and he told me it sounded like Distributer, cap, roter, plugs and wires?

Would any of you agree with his assesment?

Thanks again for all your help,

Jeremy

Old 03-05-2010, 01:26 PM

Also I wanted to check the mass air flow sensor but was not able to find it from the air box to the manifold. Can anyone tell me where it is located?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Code 42 appears to be speed sensor.

Code 43 might be the problem. The computer increases the fuel injection volume when the engine is cold. Keep the code reader connected when after you start the car. Determine if this code goes away.

Try the Autozone websites self help repair section for info on testing the coolant sensor. The site requires you sign up (free) but has LOTS of good specific repair and test info for various makes, model, year of cars.

A fuel pressure test would require a gauge setup to tap into the fuel system.

The engine has a Manifold Air Pressure sensor (MAP), not a MAF, these seldom fail.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Talking hope this helps guys

K my sister has a 94 camary. 4 banger and it started havin all the same issues. That I've been reading in hear. I checked all the valves o2 sensors changed fuel filter and done a complet throttle body cleanin nothing helped. Finally so frustated took it to my mechanic to run a diagnostic test. I have obd2 but no lights where on so couldn't use it any way. The problem was. The distrubutor wasn't creating enough spark to the plugs. To burn up the fuel So they where fuel fowled so replaced the distributor. While I had that. out went ahead and replace distrubutor cap rotor. And wires. And of course the plugs since they were no good. Got it all together and boom fired right up keeps good idle doesent die going down the road and no matter how hard you slam the gas. There is no hesitation. So all in all cost me 70 bucks for the diagnostic and $ 230 for all the parts. Since I did the work no labor. I did get a thank you from my sister. Hope this helps you guys and good luck with your yoder...
Thanks for reading.......Antonio