General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Camry LE Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 03:44 PM

Sweet. Even with 196,000 on my '09 I4 I can still eek out 30/31 mpg on my highway miles. I did a Colorado trip a few months back (Santa Fe, NM to Breckenridge, CO) and even though I went up and down some hellacious mountain passes and was at around 10,000 feet a lot of the time I still was able to calculate 34 mpg for most of the trip. That was with four people in the car and the trunk full of baggage.

I have found that filling up with Chevron exclusively has helped with mine. Not a huge mpg jump, but I was getting maybe 28/29 on the high end going back and forth to work when using some cheap gas, but am able to get it to 30/31 when using Chevron. Simple things like tire pressure, clean air filter, and not jamming your foot down on the pedal makes a world of difference. I get my best mileage when doing a steady 80 or so.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:27 AM

Thank you all for your input. It is very informative.

I have had the car for 6 months now. I have just passed 10k miles. The best mileage I have had on a tank is 33mpg, with one exception. I did put about 75 miles on one tankful and got 37 mpg, but nothing else has come close. Most of the time I am between 30 and 31 mpg.

In addition to reading your responses, I have also spoken to some friends who have a lot of knowledge about cars, one who especially has knowledge on MPG.

I have come to a conclusion on some things.
First, this car does not run as effeciently with my driving habits as the last Camry I had (07 CE) in relation to the EPA MPG ratings. I took a trip to SC from FL recently and most of the trip was on I95 going about 80, and part of it was going about 60-65 on some country roads in SC. What I noticed was the mpg tracker was at about 35-36mpg when I started my trip on the country roads but dropped to 33mpg from the time I got in I95 to the time my trip was finished. So this car does not perform as well at higher speeds as my previous Camry did. Overall I believe that my mileage for that tankful was 31mpg. Honestly, that is very disappointing for a highway trip, but it is what it is.

Another thing I learned is that not all EPA MPG ratings are the same from one vehicle maker to the next. It appears that the Toyota vehicles try to get the number as high as possible. You would think that is a universal thing, but it is not. My other vehicle is a VW Tiguan, and it is rated at 19/24, but I have had mpg as high as 27mpg. So that will come into consideration the next time I buy a vehicle.

One more thing a bit off the subject. I don't know how others who have owned a Camry previously but bought a '15 Camry think about the new car, but I am a bit disappointed. MPG aside, they stiffened the suspension, and I feel the bumps in the road much more so know than I used to. My wife used to sleep in the other car when I was driving, but she cannot in this one. I don't know why Toyota thought this was a good idea, but I am probably not going to buy another one unless they do something about that. This combined with the mpg issue puts a bad taste in my mouth.