General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

87 or 89 octane for 2009

Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Default 87 or 89 octane for 2009

I have a 2009 Camry LE 4 cylinder with just over 28,000 miles on it. For those of you with this generation of Camry, do you use 87 or 89 octane? Which do you think is best? I know the manual says anything 87 or above is fine, but I was curious to what your guys opinion was? Thanks

Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Most owners use the cheapest fuel available. A higher octane will not provide any benefits.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 PM

Then what's the point of having a higher grade? Not trying to sound like a smart-alec, but there has to be some benefit from a higher grade or else no one would buy it. So is there no benefit to a Camry, specifically?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Each auto manufacturer specifies what octane rating to use based on engine design and testing, and provides this in the owners manual. Gas stations sell fuel to all makes and models of cars and trucks.

The purpose of octane rating is to prevent engine knock (the fuel starts burning before it is supposed to).

Higher octane rating fuels are typically used in higher compression engines.

Camry had many engine models, each has a recommended octane rating to use.

Some car manufactures engine models are designed for a higher octane fuel and will knock with a lower octane rating.

There is typically no advantage to using a higher octane fuel then recommended by the manufacturer.

Still some owners have claimed better MPG and performance with a higher octane fuel then recommended. Your experience may vary, most owners used the octane rating the manufacturers specifies and find no advantage to a higher octane.

There are a few instances where a higher octane fuel then recommended may be used but the typically they relate to prevent engine knocking and the octane rating selected on an individual engine basis.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cam9509
... do you use 87 or 89 octane? Which do you think is best?
I know the manual says anything 87 or above is fine, but
I was curious to what your guys opinion was? Thanks
really not meaning to be aggressive, but 87 octane can't be outdone in your car,
unless you are burdened by an extra $1 or $2 in your wallet and just feel the urge at fill-up.
I sometimes splurge that way, and nobody knows but me ...

enjoy your car.

Seriously, and only if you can hear it pinging going uphill (called 'knocking'), then maybe move up the octane scale, otherwise let it be.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 AM

Octane is not as critical as when I was growing up. My wife has an Infinity SUV and I have a Camry V-6. I was told by dealerships of both cars that since the advent of computer engine controls, if the engine pings at all, the spark will retard automatically, ending the danger.

What that means to you is slightly less power and less fuel economy. So, you won't harm your engine with cheaper gas. And as fuel prices go up, it is to your advantage to buy cheaper gas.

I wouldn't try this in a Porche, however.