General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Camry question about if I need to Bleed the brakes when changing the strut to

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Default 87 Camry question about if I need to Bleed the brakes when changing the strut to

Hello to all,
1st off I want to thank everyone on these forums for answering my numerous ?'s and helping me you guys/girls are the best. I have another dilemma now here is it...
Solution to my 87 Camry Sagging low in the rear as follows. I went and took off 2 whole assembly (coil, shock, & strut all together) at the junk yard today off a 91 Camry with 93k ORGINAL WOW got lucky there.
Okay so my ? here is when I disconnect the rear brake line to (drum brakes wheel cylinder) can I leave it hanging upright so it does not leak out or is it better to leave it dripping out in a pan? The other ? is do I need to bleed the brakes when I reconnect the brake line back and if so how? I don't have a helper just me so please don't type for me to have someone pump the brake pedal while I bleed the brakes as I am looking for another way to do this job on my own here. I was told 3 ways 1 do NOTHING just disconnect then reconnect the brake line (since it is rear brakes) it should be okay and not have air in system. 2nd after disconnecting the brake line squeeze the brake line with vice grips to stop the brake fluid from coming out then reconnect and that is it. 3rd to let the brake line drip into a pan and after reconnecting it back loosen the bleeder screw and let a little air out then repeat steps until air is gone. Note on the 3rd option they said not to pump the brake pedal as they knew I don't have anyone to help me do that. I am guessing that they are saying by loosening the bleeder screw a couple of times a little that will let air out. Please advise me which option is best or the CORRECT way to do this job. Also another ? is should I loosen the bleeder screw a little bit before I disconnect the brake line? Please advise me here as I have never done this the correct way and I would like to learn this time around thanks.
Dave