General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Camry 2.0 Stalls floods after warmup

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Unhappy 91 Camry 2.0 Stalls floods after warmup

I have a 1991 Camry. The car sat in the yard for 2 years. It was running when parked, but over time the fuel pump and tank rusted. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and flushed the tank. The car ran well for a couple of months. Then the trouble began. The replacement fuel pump failed, most likely because I screwed up the strainer when I installed it.
Again I replaced the fuel pump, and all was well, or so I thought. I began having issues after I drove about ten miles or so. All of a sudden, if I pushed the engine past about 2500 RPM the engine would stall as if it were either starving for fuel, or choked. I can usually nurse it home if I'm lucky. The problem only occurs after a thorough warmup and happens slightly faster on hot days.
I have replaced the spark plugs, and fire doesn't seem to be a problem. I replaced the CTS (Coolant temp Sensor) thinking maybe it was temp related. The CTS I replaced is located on top of the water inlet. I did not replace the sensor on the side of the inlet.
The problem remains. When I stop the car I can smell fuel, indicating probable flooding. If I gradually feather the throttle up and down, the engine will eventually open up and run for a moment but bog down again. The exhaust is clear, ie. no stoppage. The engine will hold its own to about 2500 RPM only.
I suspect this a routine problem to someone out there, and easily solved, but I don't know what to do next. I'm supposed to be a mechanic, but I don't have the proper diagnostic information for this car. As it is I can only make a few short trips per day. I appreciate any help I might receive. Thanks

Old 10-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

If the runs OK when cold but poorly when hot then:

This year of engine appears to have a cold start injector. The injector sprays extra gas into the intake manifold when the coolant temp is cold. If the injector failed to turn off when the engine was hot, this could cause excess fuel in the engine and your problems. The system has its own water temp sensor, not the one going to the computer.

Years later Toyota went to a system that changes the injector duration to get away from cold start injectors.

The ign coil can crack and cause all kinds of issues, check for cracks on the body.

The engine also uses a MAF sensor which can cause issues with fuel flow.

You might log into the AutoZone website vehicle repair guides. The site has auto make and model repair info which can be very good. The site is free, just need to sign up.

If you send a private message with an email address, will reply with some detailed info for this engines fuel system.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the reply. Do you know the exact location of the Cold start injector CTS? Runs good cold; screws up hot, is the problem for sure. The cold start injector or temp sensor seems logical.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

If you send a private message with email address can send a file with the info.